• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

cracked bellhousing

thanks i am pretty sure i have everything off and i cant get the flywheel housing to budge. i have the nuts off for the turbo oil drain should i be able to move that pipe out of the way. i cant move it. somebody said theres four allen bolts that go through the upper oilpan im not sure how true that is

Engine Flywheel Housing Removal

• Tools Required
  • J 37228 Seal Cutter

1. Remove the turbocharger oil return pipe nuts from the top of the flywheel housing.
  2. Remove the turbocharger oil return pipe studs.

1. Remove the oil cooler adapter nuts.
  2. Remove the oil cooler adapter studs.

1. Remove the two flywheel housing to upper oil pan bolts (denoted by a black triangle).
  2. Remove the flywheel housing bolts (denoted by a black circle).

1. Separate the flywheel housing from the cylinder block using J 37228.
  2. Remove the flywheel housing.
  3. Return the turbocharger oil return pipe gasket from the flywheel housing.
  4. Remove the oil cooler adapter bolts.
  5. Remove the oil cooler adapter with gaskets (1, 2).

got the housing off. u have to drop the lower oil pan and take the four allen bolts out behind the housing. tomorrow im going to take the housing off an 02 lb7 and see if its the same thing or not

I'm finally getting my seals and gaskets from gm tomorrow to put my rear housing together. Do i have to have all four dowel pins in the housing or can i get away with just using the top two on the block. It would just complicate things quite a bit if i had to put the bottom ones in as well.

The rear engine cover is known to move and flex under power, so if there are dowels I would put in all of them to reduce the chances of it moving and leaking.

Back