• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Coolant leak

Dang. Doesn’t look like an easy modification. The mighty vac, redline, and others can be adapted over if people get the basic kit. I was hoping yours could too.
If the gauge can unscrew you could do it with cheap pressure gauge that goes to 20 psi and bicycle pump. Or like mentioned air compressor ut I would use a 12 volt crappy air compressor to be safe.

I like the universal one that had a rubber bung, small hand air pump and gauge. that seemed to work on most any application.

I've been meaning to take a pic of what I have, "Mighty Vac" it wasn't that expensive and it is a presssure tester, not a Vac. If I remember I will tomorrow. I can't remember where I bought it.

I'm gonna guess that line is your tranny cooler and the seapage is coming from the weld on the radiator. cold temps cause metal to shrink. it's possible the weld on the rad has a tiny pin hole that once warm it seals itself. I would think maybe pressure test it when cold. if it's past the warranty and the weld is the issue, the only fix would be to take the rad to a radiator shop or a good welder who can do aluminum and have them re-weld it
Hi, it can be done for sure. As far as I understood right, most welders are unsuitable for thin aluminum sheets and details. Can you recommend some decent budget picks?

@Boynextdoor Welcome to the forum. as for recommending a good place to braise aluminum, your best bet is to check around for local radiator repair shops that work on big trucks and equipment. usually the places that repair them for larger equipment do this sort of repairs all the time. they'll do more than just radiators, like if you have something you need fabricated up, talking to them, they'll probably do those odd jobs too!

Hi, it can be done for sure. As far as I understood right, most welders are unsuitable for thin aluminum sheets and details. Can you recommend some decent budget picks?
Learning how to weld, braze, solder is NOT something to do on a radiator. You need about a years experience to weld a radiator properly at best. For braze or soldering a minimum of 6 months before attempting a radiator.

The only exception would be if you went to a junkyard and grabbed a dozen radiators to learn on and just destroy them all in the learning process. If this is something you are set on learning, the best option is finding a welding class in a community college near you.

For welding it you would need a tig welder, and for brazing/soldering you would need different torches and different gasses. The better your skill set the lower quality equipment you could make work, but the better trained the individual is the more they know to get the best possible equipment they can because they learn the difference of great tooling vs junk stuff. Kinda like why pro mechanics own Snap-on and Mac tools rather than craftsman. So it becomes a catch 22. The better you get the lower budget stuff you can get acceptable results from. But by then you will simply refuse to buy amazon crap.

Welding supply stores sells aluminum arc rod. Has to be used with a DC welder I do believe.
All I have is an A C welder. I knock most of the flux off of that rod and use it with My acetylene torch. Takes some practice but it does work well.
I gave a couple sticks to a guy that had a propane bernzomatic torch. He said it worked well with that torch too.
Biggest thing is to get the aluminum clean, shiny clean, use a stainless steel brush only.

Learning how to weld, braze, solder is NOT something to do on a radiator. You need about a years experience to weld a radiator properly at best. For braze or soldering a minimum of 6 months before attempting a radiator.

The only exception would be if you went to a junkyard and grabbed a dozen radiators to learn on and just destroy them all in the learning process. If this is something you are set on learning, the best option is finding a welding class in a community college near you.

For welding it you would need a tig welder, and for brazing/soldering you would need different torches and different gasses. The better your skill set the lower quality equipment you could make work, but the better trained the individual is the more they know to get the best possible equipment(like this) they can because they learn the difference of great tooling vs junk stuff. Kinda like why pro mechanics own Snap-on and Mac tools rather than craftsman. So it becomes a catch 22. The better you get the lower budget stuff you can get acceptable results from. But by then you will simply refuse to buy amazon crap.
Thank you so much, appreciate that. I've never ever thought about that, it seems to be really hard to do...

Thank you so much, appreciate that. I've never ever thought about that, it seems to be really hard to do...
I would never attempt welding on an aluminum radiator. Thats why I like copper and or brass radiators.
I can solder on them things and have repaired severL that have sprung leaks, one had the filler cap/neck pop off, another one of the radiator hose couplers came off. All fixable. If the repair is close to other soldered components, lay on a soaking wet rag to stop the heat, or a garden hose with water running across the area needing protection. Just het creative. Also, be sure to tin any components before attempting to solder them on or back in.

Back