• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Coolant Leak , Front of Engine

Do you recommend the Hayden brand severe duty clutch?

Not trying to create problems with Aces, but my experience with a Hayden severe duty fan clutch was not good. I don't know if Aces was towing but I was. Details: 94 "F" vin with stock water pump, 02 DMax fan, Hayden severe duty fan clutch, and 4" Diamond Eye exhaust. The radiator (all brass, not aluminum) had recently been professionally checked and cleaned. The AC condensor was new and clean (AC not on).

I was towing a 29' older, as in heavy, travel trailer (about 9500 pounds). I was towing between Corvallis and Newport. Summertime with temps in the upper 80's and low 90's. The hills are not long or difficult. The elevation never goes over 2000 ft. Corvallis is 224 ft elevation and Newport is on the ocean. I was up to about 220* and down to 20 MPH on the hills to keep the temps from climbing higher. I never heard the fan come on. I never had a problem, until I started towing.

I ended up going with Heath's fan clutch and a 2000 balanced flow water pump. I may still have to go to an aluminum radiator. We just spent the weekend over at Newport and towing home the same route I did have temps climb just over 210*. Outside temps were in the low 40's and I was able to maintain about 45 MPH up the hills.

This was my experience. I may have got a bad fan clutch.

Don

Another place they can and will leak is between the aluminum timing cover and the front of the block. I've had 2 trucks do this. There is only anarobic sealer in there, no gasket from the factory. You may break that seal when you replace the water pump. It happened to me. It sucks to do it twice.

handcannon, Hayden's sever duty clutch is supposed to come on at 170*, you probablly got a lemon, you should of returnned for another, rather than go with heath overpriced stuff.
bk95td do you mean the backing plate, or the plate behind that?

The aluminum timing cover that the injection pump mounts to. It is the piece that the water pump plate bolts to. My 92 in my sig is down right now with a leak there.

handcannon, Hayden's sever duty clutch is supposed to come on at 170*, you probablly got a lemon, you should of returnned for another, rather than go with heath overpriced stuff.

They don't nor do I remember them making such claim. The only thing the SD Clutch had over stock was better lockup. 90%IIRC.

I never knew of, or found, any stats that claimed a 170* turn on for the Hayden fan clutch. It was supposed to be a more positive, less slipping, unit. Didn't work for me. I did return it, for a full refund. I went with the Heath unit because I didn't have time to mess around, or want to take any more chances on damaging the motor while towing. The Heath unit is listed as a 195-200* turn on.

It works.

Don

Heath's is the Hayden SD.

I'm not 100% on that Bill & I talked at length on clutches one day, his according to him are marked like the Haydens but are filled with a fluid specced out for military vehicles operating in desert environments to stay at correct viscousness ??? that a word, if not it ought to be :)

I've never come close to ever overheating since installing it, and it cycles in & out unlike the Kennedy one I ran for years that never disengaged once engaged, may have been a bad unit there so not disparaging Kennedy at all.

Another place they can and will leak is between the aluminum timing cover and the front of the block. I've had 2 trucks do this. There is only anarobic sealer in there, no gasket from the factory. You may break that seal when you replace the water pump. It happened to me. It sucks to do it twice.

How do you remedy this? Is there something I need to be aware of while replacing the WP? Do I just use new anerobic sealer when im putting it all back together or does the aluminum timing cover have to come off?

Last edited:
I've never come close to ever overheating since installing it, and it cycles in & out unlike the Kennedy one I ran for years that never disengaged once engaged, may have been a bad unit there so not disparaging Kennedy at all.

Yea, RIGHT!!!

Back