• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Conventional Tie Rods VS Heim Joints

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
What would you Use for Everyday Use if you were gonna Upgrade the Tie Rods. Would you go with the Upgraded Conventional Design or go with a Tie Rod that has Heim Joints on both Ends?

I think my Cognito Tie Rods are Shot (Big Surprise there), so I gotta get some New ones ASAP.

Would the Heim Joints start to Rattle & Clank around after a while, or no?

Heims joints will wear in short order has been my experience with them, and is why I refuse to use them for steering in any application. They work fine in a suspension system where a little slop is fine, but for steering I like a preloaded tie rod end.

Tie rod ends are engineered for the exact application and as Ferm pointed out, they are preloaded. Good set of Moog ends and off you go... Safely.

So pretty much, I should Re-build my OE Tie Rods with Moog Parts, Sleeve them, and Call it a Day?

Went with Kryptonite Rods.

They seem to be REALLY Good, and come with a Lifetime no Questions Asked Warranty.

They were only a little more than New Moog Parts and Sleeves anyways.

Don't know...I heard they(big tie rod end end mfr.'s)all (including krytonite) have had the same problem with premature wear...

I regularly check my cognito's and have a front end shop check them regularly as well...and mine are still good...and I put a lot of miles on mine and about 100 4x4 1/4 mile passes and... knock on wood... they are still good...

Don't know...I heard they(big tie rod end end mfr.'s)all (including krytonite) have had the same problem with premature wear...

I regularly check my cognito's and have a front end shop check them regularly as well...and mine are still good...and I put a lot of miles on mine and about 100 4x4 1/4 mile passes and... knock on wood... they are still good...

I Think anything has gotta be better than the Cognito's. Mine were making Noise here and there a few Months after getting them Installed.

If your tie rods are in good shape then I would just sleeve them...but there's that voice out there telling you : "while it's apart I may as well change the ends"

so...a good set of moog ends and sleeve them
or
opt for one of the big end manufacturers...Cognito... Kryptonite...you hear good and bad about them though...like I said in an above post...my Cognito's are holding up...

Back