• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

considering buying a "new" engine

KrisML

Reaction score
The engine in my truck needs a complete rebuild (again :mad2: first time was a broken crank) after suffering from a massive oil pressure loss after only 700 miles. So I just don't trust the block to be rebuilt for a 3rd time that I know of. Was originally bought from the Diesel Depot back in 2003. Between cost to rebuild it myself and time restraints I'm considering buying a reman engine. I know I could get one from jasper engines but need to get a price from them. They're a national company so warranty good all over. Peninsular diesel sells the GEP 6.5 as a long block which would work since I have a good injection system and turbo setup. Price is between $6100 to $6500 depending on which compression ratio you get. I'm not sure how the warranty would work with them, would have to ask. I did find a place that's based out on Long Island New York that called US engine production inc. This is the website http://www.65engine.com/gm_6_5_diesel . They offer a turn key 6.5 for around $4800, has 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. Thing is, is that I haven't heard of them and not sure of their reputation. Plus the engine would be built to stock specs of the year chosen. They do offer 6.5 long blocks for a decent price which would allow me to put my upgraded parts to use plus save some money. Also I wouldn't have to tear into a new engine to install headstuds or the upgraded water pump. My dad thinks its best to go with a turnkey engine and stop messing with it. Which would be nice just not sure who I should get with for a getting a turnkey engine. If I'm spending that much for turn key, I want the best warranty I can get for the money. Guess I can see if the place in Long Island will do up grades like headstuds and the main girdle at the very least. Water pump is super easy to change when out of the truck.

Now another crazy option is this. The engine I rebuilt I put a forged crank in and it also has .020 over 6.5 18:1 pistons in it. All of which was balanced prior to install. Mitch at Peninsular said that they can sell me a good 6.5 block for around $425 and then build the short block with my crank( if not scored due to oil loss) pistons. New rings and bearing being used of course. Now he didn't give me a final price on that since would be mostly labor and ha has to make sure they have a good usable block. I'm thinking that would be a couple grand when done since the block would have to be bored out. Warranty would probably be very little.

Thanks for any help.

I'm 99% sure it is. Bought it from Peninsular around this time last year. Talked to Mitch and told him that I wanted the forged one. That's what they charged me for, so it better be.

AVOID THE PLACE IN NEW YORK AT ALL COSTS. they are WELL known around the 6.5 community for selling garbage. They change there name often due to there reputation catching up to them. And with JASPER all you are buying is a piece of junk with a warranty. you couldn't pay me neough to put a JASPER rebuild in. They are WELL known for reuing ANY part from junk engines and building there engines with reused parts. Personally I would go with a new GEP longblock, or a good used OPTIMIZER.

Good to know! This is why I love forums like this, like minded people helping each other. I will certainly avoid the new york place.

Guess I'm going to be buying the GEP long block from Peninsular.

Thanks guys. Very much appreciated!

Kris

You could buy used/low mile military GEP from teds. Pull the heads for studs and put your ip glows and injectors in and your set. Iirc that's a $2500 option.

Then sell me your crank and pistons! No really I will buy them

Hmm, could be a good inbetween option. Do they have a website that I can check out?

I'm more then willing to sell the crank and pistons. I have to check the crank first to make sure its ok.

The crank can be resurfaced to a point and oversized bearings used.

There are a few people that have used teds, search around on the forum.

I have been going with the low mile take out 6.2 engines from Boycee Equipment in Utah. I know they test their engines where IMO Ted's doesn't and heartbreak results in threads on here.

Only 700 miles and low oil pressure? You got a squirter block and a low volume oil pump? Plugged oil cooler? Warranty on rebuild?

1982... You dad is not correct. The only way to stop messing with a 30 year old truck is to buy a new one.

Forgot all about Boyce epuipment. Have to look into them too.

Its a nonsquiter block with a high volume oil pump. Went from 50lbs idle, 60 running down to zero over the course of 5 miles. Started looking for the issue and still actually haven't found it. Had good flow to the gallaries that feed the cam and lifters but from there not sure. Pulled the cam and found my new cam bearing to be basically wiped out. So between that and a broken crank in the block only 700 miles earlier I just don't trust it to hold together.

Oh he knows how the game is played, he has a 68 Olds 442 that we're doing a frame up resto too. He's saying to just be done messing with engines for now. Which I agree with. Plenty of other work to be done to the truck beside engine stuff.

ted does test them, as good as boyce IDK, but if one turns up damaged, teds has been known to send out another one. as far as used engines, boyce and teds are my two choices.

I will try to save up enough money to try out teds later this year.

The engine in my truck needs a complete rebuild (again :mad2: first time was a broken crank) after suffering from a massive oil pressure loss after only 700 miles. So I just don't trust the block to be rebuilt for a 3rd time that I know of. Was originally bought from the Diesel Depot back in 2003. Between cost to rebuild it myself and time restraints I'm considering buying a reman engine. I know I could get one from jasper engines but need to get a price from them. They're a national company so warranty good all over. Peninsular diesel sells the GEP 6.5 as a long block which would work since I have a good injection system and turbo setup. Price is between $6100 to $6500 depending on which compression ratio you get. I'm not sure how the warranty would work with them, would have to ask. I did find a place that's based out on Long Island New York that called US engine production inc. This is the website http://www.65engine.com/gm_6_5_diesel . They offer a turn key 6.5 for around $4800, has 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. Thing is, is that I haven't heard of them and not sure of their reputation. Plus the engine would be built to stock specs of the year chosen. They do offer 6.5 long blocks for a decent price which would allow me to put my upgraded parts to use plus save some money. Also I wouldn't have to tear into a new engine to install headstuds or the upgraded water pump. My dad thinks its best to go with a turnkey engine and stop messing with it. Which would be nice just not sure who I should get with for a getting a turnkey engine. If I'm spending that much for turn key, I want the best warranty I can get for the money. Guess I can see if the place in Long Island will do up grades like headstuds and the main girdle at the very least. Water pump is super easy to change when out of the truck.

Now another crazy option is this. The engine I rebuilt I put a forged crank in and it also has .020 over 6.5 18:1 pistons in it. All of which was balanced prior to install. Mitch at Peninsular said that they can sell me a good 6.5 block for around $425 and then build the short block with my crank( if not scored due to oil loss) pistons. New rings and bearing being used of course. Now he didn't give me a final price on that since would be mostly labor and ha has to make sure they have a good usable block. I'm thinking that would be a couple grand when done since the block would have to be bored out. Warranty would probably be very little.

Thanks for any help.

The place in NY is the company I bought mine from. I got the long block, Reman injection pump(manual) Injectors, and glow plugs from them all in the same shipment. It only took about 7 days for it to arrive from NY to Wa state. I was going to have it installed due to a back surgery, but fell thru, and I ended up doing it myself, and a little help of a step son. Anyways, The motor has been great. I do not regreat my decision to spend $ buying it from them. I did have one concern pop up, I called them, they gave me a suggestion, and the issue was resolved. They are top notch in my book, but I have only purchased just the one block.

I do know that the long block I received is a newer block. Unfortunately, I installed the motor before I found out about the casting marks in the valley, so I dont know what casting I got. I know it is a newer block than a 93 because the front timing belt cover had a hole for a crank position sensor. I fab'ed up a plate to cover the hole, some RTV, and it was good to go.

If you want to discuss my experience, you are welcome to call me. Just PM me for my number

6.5 does run them on a dyno before they ship them out. The other thing I liked is that this was the main engine they rebuild. They do others, but this is their bread and butter....

Well Teds and Boyce both sell used running engines which I could go with. But for the price they want I can freshen up the non-running military 6.2 that I got for 80 bucks. While I like building engines it would be nice to not be building one for this truck again for a long time and lots of miles hopefully. Truck needs lots of other work and money to be "done" and put back into dd service. Though it's the most money I think I'm going to end up with the GEP long block from peninsular. That foundation with the injection system I have( .033 DB2 pump with matching injectors) and the HX40 turbo should make for a really sweet running engine.

Jeff how many miles do you have on the engine you got from them? They're close enough to me for me to pick it up from their shop. I just don't want to get burned as I haven't heard too many good things about this place, most have been bad so kinda leery.

I really want to be done messing with engines in this truck other then maintenance.

AVOID THE PLACE IN NEW YORK AT ALL COSTS. they are WELL known around the 6.5 community for selling garbage. They change there name often due to there reputation catching up to them. And with JASPER all you are buying is a piece of junk with a warranty. you couldn't pay me neough to put a JASPER rebuild in. They are WELL known for reuing ANY part from junk engines and building there engines with reused parts. Personally I would go with a new GEP longblock, or a good used OPTIMIZER.

I have had good luck with mine then I guess. I had no issues with the motor. It has been a solid product, it comes with a Warry that I have not had to use.

I got the long block, IP, Injectors, and Glows for 3400.00 shipped to WA state. Yes, you know you are getting a high end 6.5 motor that will likely outlast the sheetmetal of your truck, but your going to spend twice the price. I didnt want to spend 6-7K on a truck that is only worth that in the first place on a good day, to trade it in on something else/have it get hit and the insurance company total it out.

To each their own, but it fit my situation, and I am happy with my decision.

Do you know what the dyno numbers were for your engine?

No, they only tell you that they run them on a dyno for 30-60 min before they ship. Unfortunately no dyno results. I have/had a 12 month unlimited mileage warry when I purchased mine about 1.5 years ago from them. Not sure if it is still the same or not.

Back