• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Confirmation needed: 1998 7.4L Vortec to replace 1990 TBI

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted this on another site, and i need confirmation.

Dad got a 1990 C3500 2wd C&C SM465 manual truck w/ a knocking 454 TBI.

He also bought a 1998 p-chassis w/ a 454 Vortec that runs great.

He wants to put the vortec into the truck, and run it on the factory TBI setup for simplicity. (not looking for alot of power)

I have been told one just transfers the stuff off the TBI onto the Vortec, even the intake manifold. i was told the only thing i would have to get is a timing chain cover, since the Vortec no longer needs a CPS. Is this talk about the TBI intake bolting on w/ no running issues true?

the reason i wondered about the manifold is that the SBC apparently needs a conversion manifold, but i was told the ports are the same between TBI and Vortec BBC. is this right?

the center 2 bolts on each side is normally the hang up but they can be shaved a bit to work perfectly for the 350 carb to 350 TBI to 350 Vortech. . .

Now the 454 i do believe is just a direct swap out tho i would keep the 454 TBI heads handy just in case. . .

BTW that 454 will run them 6.5's in to the ground all day any day. :thumbsup:
I'll take you knocking 454 to replace my 6.5-T boat anchor. :D

Mikey

That is what i thought. we will be hopefully doing this swap soon! also, the 90's flywheel should bolt on no problem, right? the p-chassis was auto.

if u don't like your 95, list some specs, and we'll see if i can can take it off your hands!

Back