• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Colorado! Engine Tempertures

Steve, here's what nobody told you... If you are driving in snow and (so called) treated roads, you need to know about the stuff they use on the ice and snow covered roads. For test purposes before you go, here's what you need:

5 gal brown Karo syrup
2-3 lb granite dust
mix thoroughly
Dump all over your truck
let dry and, if possible, let set through a couple of freeze - thaw cycles.

To clean this off of your truck:

Got to touchless high pressure car wash
go into wash bay.
exit wash and drive around to wash bay.
go into wash bay
exit wash and drive around to wash bay.
repeat one or 2 more times.
Exit car wash area, drive home,
Wash truck as you normally would.):h

Are you saying you want me to advertise that I'm a candyass. ):h LOL. Sounds like your making rock candy. Or just what am I missing here?

Last edited:
Are you saying you want me to advertise that I'm a candyass. Sounds like your making rock candy. Or just what am I missing here?
No, I'm telling you what to expect if you drive on treated roads in Co. That environment friendly crap they use is nasty and my explanation above was what the stuff is like and about what I had to do to clean my truck last March.

Not as good as I would have liked but then I was in 2 huge blizzards last March that were bigger than they had seen in 10 years. One on the way out was 350 miles of the worst blizzard conditions I had ever driven in. But then I've been driving in that kinda shit all my life from time to time. I doubt you would see that kind of snow. It's a pretty dry climate most of the time and the roads are pretty well taken care of.

Ok Thanks, you've been a big help to me for this adventure to ( we've never been there land ) Colorado. Thank You Mike and Family.

:snow2

Here in norway they still use salt on the roads,cant believe they dont only use sand instead..no problem driving on white roads with good winter tyres..

for the most part the roads do get cleared quite well, you just have to remember if you do happen to be caught driving during or right after a storm you will want to wash your under carriage off good because of the mag chloride and slicer they use, very corrosive stuff. And definitly don't get caught without a good anti-gel supplement in case the temps fall below zero. All in all the driving up here isn't that bad though, we don't get that many nasty storms and the roads are clear and temps are above freezing most of the time. I have a rear wheel drive crown vic that I drive 95% of the time, going to work and running errons, just have to get my truck out when a nasty storm does roll in.

Thanks for the input 9W3-HD. That is a lot of help. How often do I need to wash underneath my truck, once in a week or more often?
95% of the time you drive a Ford, Oh I'm so sorry to hear about that. It must be great when you do drive that fine Chevy DuraMax at only 5% of the time. You must be depressed 95% of the time.):h

yeah I know Im not very proud of it but its too cheap not to drive, 25mpg makes it work, I drive 70 miles a day so fuel is my biggest expense.
As far as washing it, I usually try not to let that crap sit on there for more than 3 or 4 days, but sometimes it's hard to wash a vehichle when it's 20 degrees. ):h My truck has salt on it now from that last little artic blast we had and I was going to wash it off today but the roads are pure slush so I think I'll wait till morning while their still frozen, and try not to drive it till they dry out some more.

ha,ha, not exactally, that was the paint code of the first durumax I orderd(9W-3), back in 04, you'll laugh but it was the corvette yellow!! I know I thought it would look good once I modded it with some chrome and lift and such, but it wasn't meant to be. When it came in the tech went to fuel it up and filled it up with unleaded, and to make a long story short I said hell no I don't want it now, pissed them off really bad but I ended up buying a carbon metallic crew cab from a different dealer. I was glad it happened afterwords though.

for the most part the roads do get cleared quite well, you just have to remember if you do happen to be caught driving during or right after a storm you will want to wash your under carriage off good because of the mag chloride and slicer they use, very corrosive stuff. And definitly don't get caught without a good anti-gel supplement in case the temps fall below zero. All in all the driving up here isn't that bad though, we don't get that many nasty storms and the roads are clear and temps are above freezing most of the time. I have a rear wheel drive crown vic that I drive 95% of the time, going to work and running errons, just have to get my truck out when a nasty storm does roll in.

Todd,

Thanks for helping Steve...(the old looney guy):h)

Back