• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

cold weather starting

john65td

Addicted to boost
Reaction score
i had problems last winter starting. i replaced the glow plugs with ssd insta heat ones. and new lift pump this spring i had to plug it in almost every morning last winter. i live now where i cant plug it in now and i want to know what i can do to be prepared so during winter it will start and i can make it work. any advice would be great

Get some bosch duraterms and get rid of the ssd wap glows. Then get some lighter weight synthetic oil. Also do the extended time glow mod or go manual. If you had gone with heath's gl4 it comes with extended glow time.

Yep, the WAPS SUCK to say the least. I had starting problems in FLORIDA with WAP plugs in. After less than a year 5 of em had burned out in FL.

Perhaps a pair new high amp batts, new starter and a good look at batt cables/connections, new or rebuild injectors and a timing check to top off the other suggestions,

Carry a propane torch. Cook the intake real good then go run in and start it.

Also consider hooking up a relay/start button so your starter momentarly gets 24V when you hit the button. Learned from somewhere that is not how long but how fast you crank to start a diesel.

If all else fails then just keep it running w/the parking brake engaged. Lock the doors and keep a python inside. Pitt-bull works too.

Matt

Pitt-bull works too.

Like this one?
STANCEshead.jpg

x3 Wap's burn out fast (I think heath quit selling them due to similar feedback). I am not a fan of any claims to insta heat or quick heat etc. I want durability in a glow plug. I like AC delco 60G's they seem to work fine for me and I have had a few starts in the high teens no problems.

Make sure your glow controller is working correctly too. And cranking speed is important.

thanks ill check my glow plugs and controler starter and batts are new bout 4 months ago also checked the cables when new batts put in

x3 Wap's burn out fast (I think heath quit selling them due to similar feedback). I am not a fan of any claims to insta heat or quick heat etc. I want durability in a glow plug. I like AC delco 60G's they seem to work fine for me and I have had a few starts in the high teens no problems.

Make sure your glow controller is working correctly too. And cranking speed is important.

I didn't think Heath ever sold the WAPs. I always figured he sold the Duraterms. Learn something new everyday. I know SSdiesel sold/sells the WAP "instant heat" glows. They are junk.

If the fermanator had issues in florida with the WAP's and burnt out plugs, i'd hate to see how they'd stand up to a new england winter and my GL4.

Like the other's said go with the Bosch Duraterms. I have a set in my pickup and my blazer will get another set as soon as i can afford them.

Small things, but if having trouble, everything helps.

Click your parking brake on a touch just to kill the daytime running lamps while cranking.

Do the battery post mod with fresh SS bolts or copper or whatever so those bad boys are tight.

Some northerners wire in a 2amp trickle charger to their block heater just so the batts are always topped off for the big cold crank.

Mobil 1 0w-40 weight synthetic makes a world of diifference in cold weather from dino oil. Give it a shot. NIGHT AND DAY.

Carry a propane torch. Cook the intake real good then go run in and start it.

Also consider hooking up a relay/start button so your starter momentarly gets 24V when you hit the button. Learned from somewhere that is not how long but how fast you crank to start a diesel.
If all else fails then just keep it running w/the parking brake engaged. Lock the doors and keep a python inside. Pitt-bull works too.

Matt
I installed a series paralel switch on one of my tractors,12 v charge,24v start.now that sure as hell wips that engine around,fires up in a split sec now,versus cranking till the batts where empty and a no go before.
The starter has'nt even got time thinking of getting hot.

would sure work on these 6.5's too.

i had a 6.2 suburban ran 15w40 all year round never once had starting problems had ac delco glow plugs. im getting new glow plugs for the 6.5 this paycheck. i wish the 6.5 would start like the ol 6.2 did in the cold no matter what temp always started no block heater once in a while 2 glow plug cycles

ok new glow plugs and controller it is. now the only question is ac delco or bosh??? i hate bosh sparkplugs they run bad in gm cars. there glow plugs better? cost is a factor too i work at a dealership and can get acdelco gp at cost or where can i find bosh cheaper then 150 like on heath site? i like to stick oem too so i lean toward acdelco any input?

Go for AC DELCO 60G's. And AUTOZONE used to be the cheapest place to buy em. Last I checked cost on em through GM was about what AZ sells em for.

i had a 6.2 suburban ran 15w40 all year round never once had starting problems had ac delco glow plugs. im getting new glow plugs for the 6.5 this paycheck. i wish the 6.5 would start like the ol 6.2 did in the cold no matter what temp always started no block heater once in a while 2 glow plug cycles

My Dino 15-40 cold starts were fine too. But once you hear how fast it spins over frozen cold and how quiet it is comparatively... you'll never do it again to your engine.

Ever try pouring 0df Dino???? IT DOESN't. What makes you think your oil pump and block passages can flow that gel??

Back