• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

code 54

Gerry

Reaction score
while driving engine stopped. started again with difficulty. i have codes 18, 35 and 54. need help diagnosing

Welcome to the forum @Gerry Post the details of your rig, year, make and model. ( preferred to enter them into your signature from your account details so they will show up each time you post on the forum) also post what symptoms you are having and what lead up to the issue, what you have done to attempt repairs and what not.

what I can see, with those codes your rig is a pre 96 OBD1 system.

Code meanings:
18 - INJECTION PUMP CAM SYSTEM
35 - FUEL SOLENOID RESPONSE TIME TOO SHORT
54 - P.C.M. FUEL CIRCUIT ERROR

I would suggest start with replacing the PMD located from factory on the side of the injection pump, clear codes by disconnecting the batteries for a minimum of 5 minutes. Try it again and see what happens. from the combination of three codes, it would ether be the PMD or the injection pump has failed, but it's not uncommon to also have ground connection issues that would also cause this.

The recommended route here would be to remote mount the PMD with a heatsink and extension cable to the hole in the front bumper so the heat of the engine won't kill the new one. there will be a resistor inside the plug on the factory PMD which you will need to move to the new one. With the fact that you will have to pull the intake off to get the old PMD off from the IP (injection Pump) just leave it there and buy you a new resistor to use. most auto parts will sell these in a kit. Dorman part number 907-107. the kit comes with two resistors, a #5 and #9, use the #5.

Just a warning... do not connect the new PMD without a heatsink. without having it mounted to a heatsink it will instantly overheat the internals and kill it.

I see you started two threads on this. It will be better to keep all info in one place so if it gets complicated everyone can see all information in one place.
So below is my post on the other thread:
Welcome. More info can be helpful- fill out the signature line with truck and any modification details, then it always pops up so we can see what we are dealing with.

Do not just throw parts at it- that makes it worse because so many new parts come defective now days. And with that- ask before buying because many of us learned where to avoid rip off places. Brick and mortar AC Delco AUTHORIZED dealer is good, LeroyDiesel.com is good online- there are others

That 54 according to manual when not paired with code 17 says to replace the pcm- but do not do it until other options are 100% knocked out because changing it by itself rarely fixes it.

Start with the pain in the neck of remove, clean, reinstall all engine and battery grounds. This is a HUGE common problem and solves this issue maybe 25% of the time.

If you still have the optic sensor filter- remove it and plug the two ends of harness together bypassing it.

Next is I am guessing you don’t have a spare pmd (because you didn’t mention trying it).
Unfortunately there is no way to test pmd but they fail often enough and only test from GM is “replace with known good”. We learned to mount them on the back side of front bumper using a heat sink and an extension cable.
Leroy sells a good extension cable and lifetime warranty pmd. The trick is use the new lifetime warranty one and keep an old working unit like spare tire. Years later when lifetime one dies, drive on the old one while mailing off warranty unit for replacement. Pmd fails in crazy ways and can cause almost any problem. It is the thing that gives this engine a bad name.

Start with that info and anything more you can tell us will help solve your issue faster

Back