• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

clutch options

chevyCowboy

I might be crazy but i ain't dumb
Reaction score
when i pulled the clutch off the fly wheel i found the flywheel bolts to be worn and the inner springs on the clutch where worn as well where they rubbed on the bolts any one have any idea why this could have happened. the only thing i can think of is that the clutch is worn out and the disc is to close to the fly wheel. but it never sliped or any sign of be wornout.

going to put a new one in
i have looked at the sbc and luks not sure which to go with any recomendations

sbc seem to very pricey

what was in the truck was a luk and it never seemed to slip

First check this out:
http://www.southbendclutch.com/rightclutch.html

As for the abbreviations, "Con O" is Souths Bends "organic lined clutch". "Con OFE" is an Organic and Feramic Facing. And "Con FE" is there 2 faced Feramic Clutch. The O engages the smoothest, the OFE has moderate engagement, and the FE is more of an aggressive clutch.

I've played with a lot of different clutches. Though I personally have never used a South Bend, I do enjoy a smooth engaging clutch. This "luk" one you mention? How did that hold up for you? Did you like it?

First check this out:
http://www.southbendclutch.com/rightclutch.html

As for the abbreviations, "Con O" is Souths Bends "organic lined clutch". "Con OFE" is an Organic and Feramic Facing. And "Con FE" is there 2 faced Feramic Clutch. The O engages the smoothest, the OFE has moderate engagement, and the FE is more of an aggressive clutch.

I've played with a lot of different clutches. Though I personally have never used a South Bend, I do enjoy a smooth engaging clutch. This "luk" one you mention? How did that hold up for you? Did you like it?

the luk seemed pretty good not sure how long its been on there but in the 3yr iv had it its been good im just not sure if it was the right one due to the way the fly wheel bolts and springs are worn ill take some pic the next time im over there its in my bros garage. never had any problems with it slipping and iv pulled some stumps and pretty stuck vehicals out dont do to much heavy towing i just want a good clutch that graps good and will hold up. these nv4500 are heavy and i dont like having to drop them :D

the luk seemed pretty good not sure how long its been on there but in the 3yr iv had it its been good im just not sure if it was the right one due to the way the fly wheel bolts and springs are worn ill take some pic the next time im over there its in my bros garage. never had any problems with it slipping and iv pulled some stumps and pretty stuck vehicals out dont do to much heavy towing i just want a good clutch that graps good and will hold up. these nv4500 are heavy and i dont like having to drop them :D

I'm NO proffesional with clutches, but it sounds to me like its an older clutch. From what I've heard, as the clutches start to get older, all the "clutching" (especially an around town truck), tends to naturally wear the bolts and associated parts...

Definatly give GMCLBZ a call. They may be better help than we are):h

I have had a problem with the first Luk I put in. It failed (center section broke right out of it) Granted it was in a 1 ton dually that weighs 5700 Lbs and I was towing a load of scrap that weighed 10,000 tare so total weight was up to around 17-18 K with trailer and all. Luk are nice standard duty but SB, Zoom, Centerforce,Valair etc would work for heavy loads better by far. Defintly see what GMCLBZ can do for you. Agreed 110% NV4500's are not something you want to pull out every other day especialy with a transfer case behind it.

here are the pic of what is worn on the clutch/springs/and flywheel

Attachments

• DSC00037.jpg
    DSC00037.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC00038.jpg
    DSC00038.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC00039.jpg
    DSC00039.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00040.jpg
    DSC00040.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC00041.jpg
    DSC00041.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC00042.jpg
    DSC00042.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 7
Sorry just got to the pics.... That is exactly what mine looked like when the disc seperated. Mine took out the input bearing and input shaft too.

Sorry just got to the pics.... That is exactly what mine looked like when the disc seperated. Mine took out the input bearing and input shaft too.

its ok figured no one say it thought i would make a post so it came to the top

oh well was going to put a new clutch in any way guess i will need a new flwwheel as well now

Go with the old style solid pilot bearing. They don't sieze and tear up the snout of the input shaft.

i have heard lots of different things concerning pilot bearings some say to go witht the kevlar bushing type and others say to go with the old needle bearing type. any advice?

these pics are for gmclbz

Attachments

• DSC00382.jpg
    DSC00382.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00383.jpg
    DSC00383.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1
Back