• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Clay Bar?

BudTX

Edjumacated Redneck
Reaction score
I tried a clay bar for the first time this past weekend. It was a bit time consuming to wash, dry, clay bar, and then wax the truck, but the clay bar process itself was not as arduous as I thought it would be.

The results were good, but I was expecting something more dramatic. Perhaps the fact that I keep my truck clean and waxed lessened the dramatic effects.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Looks great Bud!:thumbsup:
What brand of bar did you use? I've been tempted but I looked for a 3M one and it was $40. Couldn't do it. Not to mention I don't have time...

The brand is Mothers. I saw it at O'Reillys and decided to try it. It was packaged with two small clay bars, detail spray and a microfiber towell for around $15.

Bud, looks great. The 3M clay bar is the way to go. Wash the truck dont bother to dry. Use a spray bottle full of water mixed with a teaspoon of soap. Keep your surface wet and rub until the clay bar no longer grabs. Be sure to keep squeezing the clay. After you wax it it should feel really smooth. The proof of what you remove will be in the clay.

clay really works. i use it once and a while to really clean the paint. it works great for overspray and that tree gunt that dots up the paint. i have an issue with road tar now i may try this for see how it works.

I've never used a clay bar and I'm not sure if I need to. What exactly does it do anyways? Gets all the impurities out of the paint dosent it?

The clay bar will remove surface contaminates like over spray, tree sap, industrial fallout, rail dust, airport pollution. Clay makes rough and cratered surfaces smooth. Below is some information from a detailing site.

Testing for paint contamination:

After washing and drying your vehicle, put your hand inside a plastic sandwich bag and lightly run your fingertips over the paint's surface. It should be as smooth as glass. If your car's surface has a rough, gritty or pebble-like texture, it indicates the presence of paint contamination. This should be removed with a clay bar before applying a polish or wax.

The clay bar will remove surface contaminates like over spray, tree sap, industrial fallout, rail dust, airport pollution. Clay makes rough and cratered surfaces smooth. Below is some information from a detailing site.

Testing for paint contamination:

After washing and drying your vehicle, put your hand inside a plastic sandwich bag and lightly run your fingertips over the paint's surface. It should be as smooth as glass. If your car's surface has a rough, gritty or pebble-like texture, it indicates the presence of paint contamination. This should be removed with a clay bar before applying a polish or wax.

Thanks for that great explanation!

We have used kerosene to take the tar off, seems to work pretty good, we just wash it off right away. I think I'll try clay bar next time, sounds a little more proper haha.

Clay bar on tar makes a little mess. I use WD-40 for the tar, then follow up with the bar. I've used the bar for years and it works exrtremely well.

I wouldnt use the clay bar on tar.we use reg ol paint thinner on a rag.The mothers clay seems to be a little harder than some of the other clay bars we use but it works fine.I wet mine with a mix of dawn soap and some body shine that we buy in bulk.

Looks great! you can skip the wash, dry then clay bar that is way to time consuming. When you wash your auto do one panel at a time while the soap is on that is a lube pass the clay then rinse move on to the next panel. this is how I do mine and works the same and cuts out time. good luck.

Just so you guys know, all clay bars sold in the US are the same, due to some kind of patent. However, if you go to canada, they have the good clay bars, that someone here has a patent on and isn't making any.

Just finished wash, clay bar & wax. I've been claybaring autos for 5 years, I just love the silky feel and the shine when it's all done.

A bit of elbow grease but worth it! :friday:

Must have been some grit in your clay bar. I constantly turn it in on itself as I use it, and if you drop a clay bar on the ground it should be tossed out. That being said, I have dropped mine and I simply do a very carefull rinsing of it to get any stuck grit off of it, then I watch closely when I start using it again to ensure I'm not scratching... What can I say... I'm cheap and this works for me ):h

I tip I picked up somewhere was to tear your clay bar into two halves when you buy it and then alternate using the two halves each time you bar the vehical. This way they get equal usage and don't dry out. Also if you drop one you still have one left.

It's definitely a technique similar to wet sanding. As soon as you feel the "drag" on the bar from the rough surface start to smooth out, move on to another area. Don't press too hard; let the bar do the work and keep it lubed with soap and water.

Knead the bar after every 1' square section or so and as mentioned- if you drop it, toss it!

Back