• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Chevy diesel 6.5 crank no start

6.5 njtd

Reaction score
Hi! About a month ago my truck wouldn't start at 15° so u plugged her in. 2 hours passes, didn't start.. next day tested block heater and found it was just stop working. Replaced glowplugs all were good had 14 amps coming out wire harness. Checked plunger was good, disconnected optical senser nothing changed. Checked for fuel out front injection pump hose, it was good. I also had fuel to pump and t valve. Checked all engine eletrical, and ground straps needed some cleaning. Also checked all battery cables all fuses tested good. I replaced pmd with new one supposeddly, that came with the tuck not sure if it works, looks newish.. I know I should buy another one to check but I'm already spent 500 in witch ain't to much considering if I took to a shop! The only thing I didn't fully check was the return lines and I cracked 1 injector to bleed( fuel misted out). Also just got done replacing block heater. Service engine light is on before start, but weird thing is it flashes once after ignition switched on, then is lit constant after. What am I missing? She was just running fine!

Last edited:
Welcome. Please fill out your signature line with details of your truck, and list any modifications you have done.
Look how MrMarty did his for better example than mine.

I dont think pass key is it because he said fuel Coming out injector Line.

Replace the 1/4” diameter 5” long return line coming out the front of the injection pump with clear tubing from any hardware store. Use screw style hose clamps, the squeeze ones usually dont fit the different hose.
You can leave the clear inplace, just replace is every 3-5 years as it dulls or becomes brittle. A couple dollars but always instant diagnosis.

You are looking for air bubbles in the fuel while cranking. This would indicate an air intrusion problem.

I learned to not trust ohm test on glowplugs. I have had good bad ones test within spec. Unfortunately pull see they glow properly becomes only reliable test.
Run only AC Delco 60G. They are a self limiting plug that won’t overheat and swell/ break off from it. Bosch makes one also, but too many problems to recommend them anymore. No other glowplug is self limiting.

What is your cranking speed while trying to start? That is crucial for this engine.

Any smoke out exhaust while trying to start? What color?

What year is your truck? You need to hook up a scanner to pull codes if obd2 or use the paper clip method and count the blinks if obd1.

If you are on your phone you can turn it sideways and see the signatures at the bottom of members post.

If you are getting fuel out at the injectors, I would look real hard at the glow plugs. These trucks wont start without them. Also X2 on the cranking speed. If the battery got run down just a bit then there is a good chance that it will not fire.

Sorry forgot to mention it's a 98 Chevy 6.5 k 2500 I scanned it, says no dtc's stored guessing from disconnect batteries so much. Showed (com) on top in red bubble. I think it's was com or something like that don't have scanner anymore.. I also got new batteries forgot to mention. Can I check for air bubbles while cranking? I'm getting smoke, looks to be white. New glow plugs ac delco 60g. I didn't change security light bulb in dash thinking I had fuel so even if it was on, I shouldn't be getting fuel? No mods

Yes, cranking will cause bubbles to show up if there is enough to cause issue.

White smoke is the fuel never getting ignition, or water in cylinder. Provided your coolant isn’t low, I expect unburned fuel.

You said NEW GLOW PLUGS INSTALLED ALREADY?
What ones?

What water temp before and after running block heater is showing up?

What cranking speed?

Just seen rear fuel injector line has a small leak, could that couse air to come threw?( New glow glow plugs ac delco) I see more exaust smoke out of air intake than my exhaust 🤔 cant see cranking speed because optical sensor is unplugged?

Last edited:
Yes, cranking will cause bubbles to show up if there is enough to cause issue.

White smoke is the fuel never getting ignition, or water in cylinder. Provided your coolant isn’t low, I expect unburned fuel.

You said NEW GLOW PLUGS INSTALLED ALREADY?
What ones?

What water temp before and after running block heater is showing up?

What cranking speed?
New glowplugs acdelco 60ghow do I check coolent temp?

I am with Will... I would really like to see a video of this smoke coming out the intake. Air getting in the fuel pump can definitely make them a bugger to start.

I hope your smoke out the intake is not this extreme but it reminds me of a time I was working on a friends Toyota......... It was running very poorly so we changed the fuel filter and checked fuel pressure--- air filter...... everything I could think of. But everything I did just made it run worse till finally it died and would not start. Well after several hours I went back to the exhaust and noticed that while he was cranking it air was going in the tail pipe. Back under the hood air was coming out the intake. Turns out his timing belt had come loose and was slipping out of time.

Just seen rear fuel injector line has a small leak, could that couse air to come threw?( New glow glow plugs ac delco) I see more exaust smoke out of air intake than my exhaust 🤔 cant see cranking speed because optical sensor is unplugged?

RPM for the tach comes from the alternator. Maybe plug the optical sensor back in.... having that unplugged will also make it harder to start.

Got got it running! I took fuel filter of and added diesel kleen. Feels like a dream! 1½ month later lol. The smoke was coming out air intake because upper intake manifold was of. You live and learn! Thank you everybody! Have a good weekend 🍻

Back