• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Chevy 3500 15 passenger van - fan clutch question

knkreb

The Bus Driver is here!
Reaction score
So, tonight was the bi-annual trip to the local inspection lane. Had to sit in line for between 30-40 minutes. It's 86°F while in line. About 15 minutes after being in line, I noticed the coolant temperature gauge rising. Hmm, okay... rev it up a bit for more GPM in the coolant system, and more CFM through the radiator. Well, rev yes, coolant temp didn't drop, it went up. It maxed out at 215°F. Took off driving afterward, and within less than a 1/4 mile, was back down to 185°F.

Sounds like an air flow problem like the clutch is not engaging... but at what temp does the 5.7L/350 usually kick in the fan on an '01? 215°F seems a bit high. Is this a fan clutch condemnable offense? or am I expecting too much to keep it to 200-205 at idle with the AC on?

215 is a bit hot for the fan clutch not to have engaged. Most all of them I have worked on will barely get over 200 even on a 95 degree day down here in FL if the fan clutch is working. Also check the fan to make sure it hasn't broken a blade off. I've seen that happen and wipe out a fan clutch in RAPID order before.

2001 may be expecting too much to keep it diesel cool. The OEM fan clutches come on late to keep the noise down and MPG up. The radiators can be thin as well.

In any case 5 years is the expected design life for a fan clutch. After that you have lost 1000 RPM out of it, as you loose 200 RPM a year from the fluid breaking down or leaking out.

Do you pop the hood and verify that the clutch wasn't locked in? Spin it by hand after a AC on hot shutdown - 5-10 min at idle after driving. It should not freewheel...

There was a TSB on the fan at start up. It does "roar" cold and taking off out of the driveway and then slows right down. Never got close to a roar, purr, or whimper out of it last night.

Although I didn't count all my blades to make sure all blades were present, I think that they are there. With that startup roar, if I was missing one, all the change should have rattled out of my coin holder by now from being out of balance.

Oh, yeah, it's a gasser too...5.7L

Back