• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Check out this new USA made 7 blade RV connector

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know. The little LED's seem like a nice idea on a new truck and trailer like a built in tester. But seems I still always have to test if wiring can supply the needed amperage. So I would probably be testing the plug terminals anyway. I have been fooled a few too many times with a DMM thinking there is voltage but didn't have current.

Once had a bad brake pedal switch that couldn't carry the current once the trailer was hooked. Might have been already bad but it revealed it to me when I hooked up the trailer. I don't know didn't read that deep but don't think the LED's would catch that either ??? I figure they just indicate "some" voltage and current. If they are just extra circuitry and connections between the truck wiring and the trailer I would rather not have them. Not much to service inside a plug anyway.

That's cool. I think my days of adding them are over, but if I had to do one, I would really consider it, that's a way easier install.

I get what Schiker is saying- true led doesn't mean it perfect. Down the road if you have to trouble shoot, you can still put a meter to it. But now instead of probe the reicepticle side then pull 4 screws to get plug out and back probe the wires, it's 2 screws and everything stays attached.

@schiker and everybody else: multi meters are a nice tool, but using a regular one needs to quit being your diagnostic electrical tool. Power probe 3 or 4 depending on your usage. Cheesy video ahead:

I never looked for long, but it would be nice if they had a grounded 4 flat along side like some of the other plugs I have.

Most of the 4 flats I find don't even have a ground. Pisses me off to no end

Power Probe looks like a good tool. Although you know there are some corny cracks coming when call it by name.

The plug is probably fine. I like the flush mounting and easy access wiring terminals. I don't care for the way the name appears to stand out and draw attention. I would rather my plug blend in best it can. Could fix that with some modification.

Omg NO! After so many years of tons of different styles of trailer connectors and non standard wiring all pickup and rv companies finally have a standard. Use contact grease and a cap to keep It clean.
NO NEW STYLES!

In my NOT HUMBLE opinion on this one.

I swapped to the RV plugs finally last winter! Lol

Now if they used the connector that's on my balers and other farm equipment we might have a plug! It has a locking ring, seals, and won't fall out. But as will said, let's not change again!

I like the initial post because the connections are easy to get to and you don't have to fumble around with it. I also don't like having to figure out how to hang the connector.

Biggest problem is, I'm typically replacing the connector because it's busted, therefore it's last minute.

I'd probably double check the LED's with a trailer, but at least I could pop open the cover and rearrange the wiring if necessary.

They should offer a steel bezel that mounts with a thin plate behind it but can have a big steel surround to protect it from trailer tounge damage. Or in my case- backing into a boulder, off road damage,or a block wall.

Or maybe everyone else don't play hulk smash with there toys like I do?

That's an expensive solution to a cheap problem. If you tear up the stock socket, you can replace it with any aftermarket socket - just transfer the wires. There are already screws like that thing has, but they're not inside a separate box - they're in the back of the connector.

Back