• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

check engine light P1249

3500 dually

Reaction score
Ok guys i need some advise, I have a 2005 duramax with 89,000 miles. No mods right now except for exhaust and guages. I am stuck in St Louis right now with a check light on, the truck is missing real bad and had a P1249. At this point in time I had it towed to Lou Fusz Chevrolet for monday to be looked at. The vehicle has been running ok and with no problems to here from KC area.

Do a search for "ice pick fix". This is a common problem for LLY's. It is because of a poor connection at either the #2 or #7 injector. GM has an updated plug and support to go on the harness to help with it, but the kit is VERY expensive(almost $400 for the last one I seen priced out).

And are you sure about the code? P1249 doesn't even show up in my searches for a DURAMAX, but is a FORD powerstroke code.

Check the loom going across the alternator for rub through also. My LLY acted like yours and that was the problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535

I will check that also, thanks btfarm. My truck currently at the dealership and I am not very close I will try to get over there. I had to send my family home in a rental car since tomorrow is a school day for them.

I'll go see if I still have the service document in a bit.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Are you sure the code wasn't P2149? If so that code corresponds with the harness problem at the injector plug and is why people do the icepick fix. The harness problem by the alternator is where the harness is zip tied to the FICM bracket. GM didn't put anything on the harness to prevent chafing except some tape and 1 tie strap. The fix is to cut the tie strap off, check the harness for rub through(fix as required), put a piece of convolute tubing around the harness, tape it up, and then tie strap it with 2 tie straps securely to the mounting bracket.

I don't have the TSB on the order but the repair was as Ferm stated.

Sent from my SCH-I535

I check the code we got, I had a typo it is a 1294. according to the TSb that code is included in the technical service bullentin that I found. (#05-06-04-047c). btfarm I walk over to the dealership and check for chaffing on the harness it was ok.

Likely the 2 or 7 connector then. Very common but I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. Good luck and let us know how it comes out. At least you're an educated customer at the dealer.

Sent from my SCH-I535

I had codes 204 & 206 which is electrical circuit error on cyls 4 and 6 and 2146 which is the rub through issue for a detected open injector circuit.

I want to thank all, being stuck out of town is not fun. We were not in a good area that late at night, me and the family were at the Monster Energy Supercross in St Louis Mo. Back home safe now. Took the the truck to Lou Fusz Cheverolet in St Peters Mo. they comfirm that it did need the TSB done. I expected to have a 600-700 dollar bill but they took care of me, the bill turn out to be $523 and some change. Although I could have done it my self a lot cheaper. The part cost me $267, half hour diag. fee and the rest was labor to install. Look up the part on gmpartsdirect.com they sell the part for $167, :nonod:. Truck is running good again and with the help all of you I had some info to take when I went into the dealership. Thank you
David

A bit pricey but glad to hear you got it taken care of David. Breakdowns on the road are tough on the nerves...Been there and paid the (big) bill before. Gotta ask though, what part did they charge $267 for?

It was for the part that is call out for the TSB 05-06-04-047c kit. The part number is 98017958 which consist of a kit which includes the new 90 degree connectors and splices etc.

The price has come down on it. Last year I had somebody come to me that had just spent $397 for it for his LLY at a dealer.

I was was happy with the 523 bill because I have friend that is a diesel tech at a dealership he said it could cost 6-700 depending on the dealership. The may concern was getting my family home safe. I was more worried about that than myself or the truck. This duramax is still a learning process for me since i bought this past july. Im used to the 6.5 turbos, but i will say this im learning fast.

Back