• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Changing valveguides in heads.

offiedk

Reaction score
Can anyone give me info about the heads for the 6.5 td engine, are there "loose" guides in the head that have to press out or do i have to mill holes for the new guides I have bought.
New guides measure 0.5020 inch in diameter.

See attached images.20210415_074230.jpg20210415_074215.jpg

Mill new holes and then press in guides. Also consider putting in the brass tubes to plug the coolant passages that the cracks reach. I had one head where the brass repair guide dropped out 1/4"

Typical repaired head and cracked to scrap metal. (Crack between valves and includes cracking the valve seats.)

DSCN3890.JPG

DSCN3892.JPG

Knurling valve guides is a nice option. I have done this to several sets of heads with great results.
The old timer engine builder over here used to ream the guides then install bronze inserts and ream those to a proper fit. I ran two different sets of heads for gassers that he had done this to without a problem.
It sounds like @WarWagon may have had such a problem though.

Mill new holes and then press in guides. Also consider putting in the brass tubes to plug the coolant passages that the cracks reach. I had one head where the brass repair guide dropped out 1/4"

Typical repaired head and cracked to scrap metal. (Crack between valves and includes cracking the valve seats.)

View attachment 64649

View attachment 64650
Precisely, what tolerance did you mill your holes.

And thanks for all your answers, glad i joined your forum.

Can anyone give me info about the heads for the 6.5 td engine, are there "loose" guides in the head that have to press out or do i have to mill holes for the new guides I have bought.
New guides measure 0.5020 inch in diameter.

See attached images.View attachment 64641View attachment 64642
@offiedk Glad you found it, I knew someone could get it straight quick here.

Welcome by the way!

Back