• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Changing EFI Fuel Injectors

Bezzer

Reaction score
Hi Fellows- I'm back with my new project.
I decided to change the injectors in my motorhome (picture attached) Bought new. 1996 24' Safari Trek Motorhome.

Found this site.... Accurate Diesel
6.5 Diesel Parts & Repair Kits | 6.5 Diesel Performance Parts

www.accuratediesel.com

Have any of you used this company before? They rebuild injectors at their facility in the USA. And sell new injectors and parts pertaining to the 6.5 TD. ...such as the new small hoses that are self-sealing. Also the correct injector socket to R&R the injectors.
I've removed all the shields on the passenger side and ready to pull all 8 injectors.

I'm open to any suggestions to changing these injectors!

Attachments

• A. 1996 24' Safari Motorhome.jpg
    A. 1996 24' Safari Motorhome.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 4
Hi Fellows- I'm back with my new project.
I decided to change the injectors in my motorhome (picture attached) Bought new. 1996 24' Safari Trek Motorhome.

Found this site.... Accurate Diesel
6.5 Diesel Parts & Repair Kits | 6.5 Diesel Performance Parts

www.accuratediesel.com

Have any of you used this company before? They rebuild injectors at their facility in the USA. And sell new injectors and parts pertaining to the 6.5 TD. ...such as the new small hoses that are self-sealing. Also the correct injector socket to R&R the injectors.
I've removed all the shields on the passenger side and ready to pull all 8 injectors.

I'm open to any suggestions to changing these injectors!
I wouldn't go with Accurate unless someone chimes in with a good recommendation.

It's been so long since I had a set rebuilt. I'm not sure who I would try.
I'd start off the place in Michigan that I've used before.

I seem to be having issues with places I used to do business with being closed up or dead. Or both.

Of course it seems like if they're dead, they're for sure closed up shop.

But not always.

I don’t know that company- can’t comment either way. If they are rebuilding them, can get them within 25psi of each other for an extra charge- could be worth it.
Maybe call stanadyne to find out if they are an authorized supplier & rebuilder?

Leroydiesel.com is a reputable place. Afaik he just sells them new and doesn’t get them custom matched.

When you do replace yours, do not discard the old ones. Better to have a known working set on the parts shelf. Best is if you get them rebuilt and ready to go for the next time a set is needed- which 100,000 miles is the best recommendation- however rig sitting dormant a long time, not using fuel lubricant additives, etc shorten that mileage. If you don’t expect to get another 100,000 miles from it then just put in a box and label it as “x miles” used from rv and store them. If you are an anti-pack rat then donation to one of the guys here could appreciate them for them to rebuild.

@Rockabillyrat I am sure I asked this- but my memory is only as long as my feet:
Are you set up for rebuilding injectors currently?

I’ve done business with accurate several times without issue.Tim stands behind his products and will be there if you have a problem.He also answers any emails you send his way.I’ve bought two sets of stanadyne Italy 6.5 injectors from him in the past with no problems and had him rebuild two sets of pencil injectors for my 5.7 diesel.Everything is top notch.

My thinking is most times the injectors thats removed might just need to be tested and readjusted so they hold and pop at the same, or close to the same, pressure.
The shop I used over here for my 6.5 injectors charged only $10.00 an injector and when I got them back, everyone of them popped at precisely 1950 lbs.
They do make a little more noise than the ones I removed but I believe that with the experience that this shop has, He knows best where to set them.

Thanks for the quick comeback? Still reading to understand the procedure involved. I've read about a company having a socket to avoid taking off the turbo. Any help is appreciated!

for a side mount turbo, I think it can be done but is a real bugger bear even with the right tools. I would soak the turbo mounting studs for a couple days. when you are ready to commence, use a propane or mapp torch and heat then spray lube, heat then lube, heat then lube. the hot cold treatment with some wd-40 or similar will help greatly in breaking them turbo nuts loose.

While realizing that finding new good parts is a challenge, I still remain allergic to reman / rebuild when it comes to the fuel system. Far too many disapointments with anything other than new parts.
I've actually had very good results with rebuilds by trusted rebuilders.

I've only used 4 over the years.
At least one is retired, one's dead and I don't know about the other 2.

One's my age, if he isn't retired, he may be soon.
And the way our class reunion list has been shrinking. He may not be around long either. LoL

I never trusted off the shelf rebuilt/remanufactured stuff.

I’ve used Tim for 3rd gen Cummins injectors a few times. Each time, a thorough phone conversation happened and a few days later my injectors would arrive. I have no complaints about his service.

I’ve used Mylex International for 6.2 diesel stuff (it’s about an hour and a half from me) and have had good luck, but am unsure if the older gentleman I dealt with is there anymore

My last set of rebuilt "Bosch" injectors supplied from a locally reputable diesel shop wouldn't pop until well after 32-3500# psi and then they just pissed streams. Yeah, no thanks. Not unless you can get them pop and spray tested.

My last set of rebuilt "Bosch" injectors supplied from a locally reputable diesel shop wouldn't pop until well after 32-3500# psi and then they just pissed streams. Yeah, no thanks. Not unless you can get them pop and spray tested.
That's what I send them.in to be rebuilt for.

I've never had any tested again.

Aside from the places I took.

Apparently your reputable local shop isn't so reputable.

Did you take the injectors back and have them fixed?

These days, I wouldn't install new injectors without having them tested and balanced

Well, back in the mid 90’s the new factory ones were still all over the place. Probably 15% out of tolerance new. Thats why we got into it rebuilding them.
We could take 80 injectors, mix and match to get 6 descent sets then ofthe last 18 we could keep say 1/4 of them as base line and get the others by swapping around shims or sanding.

3500 psi for new is just sickening.

Back to you guys! I did a search and found info on 6.5TD injector removal socket. It is an injector removal socket from NAPA that I need.
Part # BK700-2470 which is no longer available.
I need a injector socket that I can only use with a 7/8" wrench.
Do any of you happen to have that socket that I can rent or buy from you?

I see the injectors have a crush seal. How many turns do you make so the nipples line up for the new hoses?

When changing the injectors ... what is used between the top threads of the injector and the 3/4" nut that has the fuel line going to it as a seal?

IIRC Leroy has injector sockets for sale. The injectors are tightened to a specific torque, alignment of the return nipples is irrelevant. There is no seal on the injector lines to the injector as it uses a tapered seat and the nut just tightens that down

Snap-on s6128
Can’t believe I forgot the Mac tools number.

The 6 points are always better than the 12 points. Problem with Snapon and otc is they are both a little too long to reach into a couple areas. You have to break it free, do 1 turn with socket. Remove socket do rest by hand. Can’t remember if one or two injectors are that way when you run into it.
And I can’t remember if the Mac was short enough to do it all the way or not either.

Too many sleepy nights ago.

I have in a bind used a thinwall 6pt 30mm, use a dremel to open the to corners where the nipples slide by. Scar outside of those two so you see from outside where nipples go. Dip socket in diesel fuel. Fill the socket with molding clay as a dummy fitment using an old injector. Remove injector, let clay harden.remove hardened clay (diesel works as releasing agent).
Use die grinder or cutoff wheel to cut square (or 6 sided if you feel the need) to the outside of the socket for wrench to turn.
Use JB weld quick and make duplicate of the clay. Slip in socket using a little more jb weld to adhere it.

Obviously if you can buy one- much better option. But sometimes ya can’t.

Back