• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Changing cranckshaft position sensor help

Esben101

Reaction score
Hi, i have to chanfe my crankshaft position sensor, however whe trying to take it out it hits on the power steering pump, is there any easy way to loosen the pump just to jiggle it a bit? If only it would be about 2 millimeters shorter it would slide right out. If not there is a way to loosen it i assume its just a lot of removing different components to get to the sensor?

To answer my own question if anyone else ever struggles with this, i loosened the entire av pump bracket, it is mounted with 3 15mm bolts, and when one loosens these, one can jiggle it just enough to get the sensor out.

Hello Esben.
I`m a little late getting a reply to You.
I have thought that if I was ever going to have to change the CSS on My engine, I`d just take the die grinder and remove the amount of material that it would take to get the sensor to slip by.
I dont figure it`d be more than a 1/16th of an inch.

Just done changing it, and ofcourse its exactly the same as before, i really love this truck hahahah

So you unplug your CPS and then try to start it. It will take extended cranking and start in limp mode. If it won't start then it's bad or if it doesn't run perfectly smooth it has issues. You can test the CPS the same way

Yeah i have done that and it does start after a long crank, and it runs very smooth in limp mode, i have also gone over pretty much every wire there is in the car haha, i have had the car for 3 years and it has been a pain evry step.of the way, so i think i just have to admit defeat and get rid of unfortunately

You need to confirm you have a square wave signal from the cam and crank sensor. I explained on your last post how to test that....

Have you done the clear hose on the IP return to check for air? Is your LP working. How old and what quality injectors do you have?

Also check your charging system for excessive A/C ripple. A failing alternator can send unwanted A/C voltage into the system and it can mess with sensor signals.

If your going to work on a electronically controlled engines yourself you need to invest in a scanner and a good meter. With out being to see what the PCM is seeing your taking away alot of your diagnostic abilities. I'll say it again. Confirm 5v and ground at the sensor. Check for signal at the PCM then report back with your findings.

Boy, that's a strange one. LOL
Must have been a low voltage condition.
Check the alternator output in the AC mode and also the DC mode, be sure the alternator is functioning as it should.
That was Rockabillys idea about the AC mode. LOL It can mess up signals.

Back