• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

changed water pump, again.....

deejaaa

Diesel Beginner
Reaction score
i put in a new one earlier this week because the other was weeping. it has a 99 engine so i put in a duplicate later style pump. i like the spin-on fan. was losing coolant out the rad cap and couldn't figure why. searched everywhere on the web but couldn't get an answer. the later pumps are rated 130 gpm, earlier is 80. that is the only thing i could figure it was or maybe it was the flow. getting pretty good at this, only took 2 hours to r&r this time. i have the new style pump and spin-on fan for sale if any interest. pump cost me 160.00, will sell for 100.00 plus the fan/clutch. has 500 miles so almost new.

The later style 99.5+ water pump with a spin on fan clutch and a single t-stat is teh reccomeneded set-up to run. If your pushing coolant out your radiator cap, you need to find out where teh pressure is coming from(most likely a bad cap or compression getting into the cooling system forcing coolant out).

X2 on what Ferm said. I put a 2000 model year High Output on my 94 without any problems. You have something else going on there.

Don

well, this is on the 93. engine runs great, no blow-by, no coolant loss other than rad cap. my cap is on the rad itself, not like the 96 that's on the overflow tank and not sure if the 94 for is the same or not. i am taking it for a drive today, it was too late after i cleaned up. if there is still a problem, i will be real disappointed and will keep looking, but if problem solved i have no choice but to believe it was the newer pump.

The 94 is the same as the 96, rad cap on the overflow tank, none on the rad. But that shouldn't make any difference.

I have the copper/brass rad, not the aluminum one. That shouldn't make any difference either.

Have you had the cap pressure tested?

I'm assuming you've done nothing else besides swapping the pump.

How is the upper rad hose soon after starting the motor?

Don

deejaaa, is the pump a genuine GM/delco?

are you using the OEM puke bottle? if so, how full does it get?

handcannon, count yourself lucky that you got that radiator. the only rigs I was ware that got the copper/brass one were the 92 and 93 6.5L mechanical motors with the cap on the radiator, and of couse the 6.2Ls.

There are bad radiator caps out there, both old worn out OEM caps and new radiator caps. The 1993, well, the radiator is for all intensive purposes, on the suction side of the pump. The thermostat and heater would be the restriction between the pressure side and the suction side.

Even if the radiator is plugged from mineral build up/corrosion. The suction side is still from the bottom hose that is on the same tank as the cap.

Agree with above to pressure test the cap and cooling system. Although I would throw a new cap at it, doing so and getting a bad one helped ruin my 1st 6.5 engine. So pressure test the new cap too! (Although I suspect the cap had issues with fitting the radiator properly.)

If you swapped from a single T Stat housing, no.........But if it came from the factory like that (W/Dual Stats), yes.

I suppose it came that way. The state maintenance shop is not likely to modify anything. It does have some weird after market alarm on it, that I just disconnected and a hour meter. They both were put on by the prep dealer.

So I got a 130, Woo:thumbsup:

took it for a 30 mile test run, no leaks. before the new old style pump, it would leak a gallon after driving only 3 miles but never went completely empty. the most i had to put in after 120 miles was 2 gallons, one in rad, other in tank.
the new style wasn't OEM pump, orilleys brand, same for the early style i just put on.
puke tank is oem and it never filled, just was sucked dry.
rad was new when truck was brought home in 08 and it has the plastic tanks.
rad cap was pulled from the 96, worked great on there so can't see any reason why it would be bad from one rad to the other. the original cap worked great before the pump change so couldn't see why it would be bad either but i swapped them because i was grasping. all i did was change the pump.
my 96 only has 1 T-stat so i guess it has the early pump.
all i know for sure, there are no leaks, i am happy, truck is running great and the wife is glad i am not working on the truck today.

my 96 has the single t-stat. cap fit the 93 rad perfect. i am using the 96 rad cap right now, no leaks.

my 96 has the single t-stat. cap fit the 93 rad perfect. i am using the 96 rad cap right now, no leaks.

It will fit, but is the wrong style cap. If you notice the little flapper on the bottom is spring loaded on the 94+ cap to keep it closed whereas the 91-93 would just hang down freely and was not spring loaded.

went to o'rilleys to get the proper cap. on the computer it called for the same cap, 92 to 2000. the older 6.2 caps had a diff part number but they were identical. strange. looked online myself and they are all the same so i don't think there was a mistake.

handcannon, count yourself lucky that you got that radiator. the only rigs I was ware that got the copper/brass one were the 92 and 93 6.5L mechanical motors with the cap on the radiator, and of couse the 6.2Ls.

It is not the origional rad for my truck. It had an aluminum rad when I got the pickup. The original had damage on it so after watching Craigslist for a while this is the one I found. It is configured just like the aluminum rad, no cap on the tank.

I'm not sure what year it was from, just that it was early 90s.

Don

96 and up, had, a Plastic round cap that said "Dexcool Only" on it......When I switched out my cap the dealer gave me a different style also.

Just FYI

i saw the plastic style online but my 96 is the same as the 93. i am confused but i think the 96 is an early model and didn't get the changes the later ones got. i did end up getting a new cap although it looks just like the one i took off.

Back