• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Change injectors just because?

Drago

Reaction score
My 1500 NA now has 170K on it, I feed the beast roughly 20-30% home brew bioD. Gets 17-20MPG, easy starts and no smoke after start. Leave it alone or change out the injectors and glow plugs before winter?

They say change / rebuild at 100K. I would think DOT might have done them. If you got records with it, judge from there.

Its not like a newer truck were it costs several thousand to change the injectors.

Glows, check them. If they all are good and AC's or Bosch's, then consider leaving them.

If one is burned out, or a goof ball brand, they are cheap enough to change them all.

Double check the wiring too.

Just an opinion of many.
Just like a hole s, they are all around.

I actually got ahold of the mechanic at VDOT. He said unless it's broke they didn't change the injectors. what the did do was change the oil every 5k and poured in a bottle of injector cleaner. hell, if everybody with a Diesel vehicle did that we'd see a lot more old oil burners on the road.

I would pull the injectors and have them tested for pattern and pressures. A perfect DIY. It will start to have a bad spray pattern before you have any problems. Then if you have that pop tester in the future and it starts acting silly you can diagnose it pretty quick.

I know 100k is the magic answer, but we ran them in the fleet for over 200k with a high success rate- around 70% iirc. Many engines went away with cracked blocks but good injectors at 225-250k.

Back