• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Center mount turbo

There ya go and maybe we've saw each other and not even known it, lol! I do plan on getting the Chevy as it's in good shape for the year, is a 1-ton dually standard cab/flatbed w/ a 6.2 that has I think 93,000 on it. And yea I'd run that HX52 on it in 5 seconds if I could get a center mount setup because I can't do twin turbos and the passenger side truck manifold setup....flow is slow and just too inefficient. Plus the center mount like you have struck so many as interested...is hard to beat and looks cool!

Come on up. Check the old rag out! It isn't purty. But it burns anything petroleum, and turns it into power :)

If we can help you out on your build, let us know. We ain't got much, but we'll help ya where we can!

Come on up. Check the old rag out! It isn't purty. But it burns anything petroleum, and turns it into power :)

If we can help you out on your build, let us know. We ain't got much, but we'll help ya where we can!

For those of you that have been following the peeing contests in a couple of threads the last few days (earlier in this one IIRC), This post above is what the spirit of this forum is all about and not coincidentally is what we as staff feel is our mission to maintain. A brotherhood (and sisters...) of enthusiasts helping each other and sharing friendship. Many of the members here have had get togethers and cemented those frienships in person. Above is what we love to see and why we are here.
Think about that when you're about to post somthing nasty and INSIST that you are the ONLY one with the right answer or just HAVE to get the last word in. Friendship is far more lasting than winning some skirmish that you'll forget about tomorrow...

I'm curious about your firewall clearance with the center mount turbo set-up. I have good clearance with mine, but my set up has the rear of teh engine about 2 1/2 inches forward of a 6.5. GM also changed numer 1 to the passenger side instead of the drivers side to get additional clearance for the center mount turbo in a duramax powered truck. If your running a DURAMAX style turbo, have you considered looking for a LB7 IHI turbo to try out? Or better yet an LLY VVT turbo? I would think the LB7's IHI would work nicely as it pushes ALOT of air at 18 pounds of boost without alot of heat build-up. There have even been a few LB7 swaps where the intercooler was left out on teh LB7 and they said it ran pretty good so long as you kept the boost down to manage IAT's.

Plenty of firewall clearance. We thought we would have to dent the firewall in to get the up pipes in but they fit ever so nicely! We are running an hx- 55 on this one but the next one will probably be a test engine so it will get a bunch of turbos tried out! All of them will be t-4 mount turbos. And an air to air cooler.

This is sweet! center mount location is Definatly the way to go. Getting rid of that crossover pipe helps significantly. I seen a post about running with a stock duramax? My set up I'm pulling away from stock duramaxes. Well lb7s so far haven't raced anyother ones yet. I'm gonna be getting a batmo wheel up grade for my VVT it should flow real nice then. At a price of only $400 that's hard to beat

All this center mount turbo location business is making me want to rip my passager setup off and do one Oh my wife would kill me if I did it! and then she would sell the truck to get the money back. Boys and there toys:hihi: Ha Ha

This is sweet! center mount location is Definatly the way to go. Getting rid of that crossover pipe helps significantly. I seen a post about running with a stock duramax? My set up I'm pulling away from stock duramaxes. Well lb7s so far haven't raced anyother ones yet. I'm gonna be getting a batmo wheel up grade for my VVT it should flow real nice then. At a price of only $400 that's hard to beat

Your setup kinda inspired me to build this.

As far as how it runs? We have our redneck 1/4 mile here (end of road to certain telephone pole) and we ran a stock 08 duramax thru it at 70mph. I can easily clean 80mph. This assumes correct speedometers :)

All this center mount turbo location business is making me want to rip my passager setup off and do one Oh my wife would kill me if I did it! and then she would sell the truck to get the money back. Boys and there toys:hihi: Ha Ha

So, we can expect to see a build thread here soon? After you're done and driving, we'll look in your local obituary section for funeral plans :) LOL!!

I have already built it just never got a chance to run it. I couldnt get my hands on a new HP line from the pump to the boost before I deployed again. But with all this talk of the HX40II I had to spend my tax free money and got a chromed out one, also a downpipe made from a member here and 4" exhaust. Never did get to turn over the rebuilt GM8 and its coming back off. So with all this center mount turbo talk Im getting the bug to try it, maybe I just should stop coming to this form its getting pricey being here Ha.

I have already built it just never got a chance to run it. I couldnt get my hands on a new HP line from the pump to the boost before I deployed again. But with all this talk of the HX40II I had to spend my tax free money and got a chromed out one, also a downpipe made from a member here and 4" exhaust. Never did get to turn over the rebuilt GM8 and its coming back off. So with all this center mount turbo talk Im getting the bug to try it, maybe I just should stop coming to this form its getting pricey being here Ha.

If you can fabricate the stuff yourself, it isn't so pricey. It does take time. I think it took me 2 or 3 weeks to get it rite...

If you can fabricate the stuff yourself, it isn't so pricey. It does take time. I think it took me 2 or 3 weeks to get it rite...

Agreed I was working on it for about a week everynight. It's kind of a Desighn as you go process lots running around getting parts like oil lines custom made getting my flanges cut on the water jet so it can be all
Unbolted. But yeah it's really not pricy if you have the skills to fabricate it your self. I used my old core turbo from the dmax when I upgraded to the Danville 68mm and I just had to buy $40 humveee headers stainless oil line and the controler for $1000. Odviously running a mechanical turbo would be cheaper.

Agreed I was working on it for about a week everynight. It's kind of a Desighn as you go process lots running around getting parts like oil lines custom made getting my flanges cut on the water jet so it can be all
Unbolted. But yeah it's really not pricy if you have the skills to fabricate it your self. I used my old core turbo from the dmax when I upgraded to the Danville 68mm and I just had to buy $40 humveee headers stainless oil line and the controler for $1000. Odviously running a mechanical turbo would be cheaper.

You may feel free to post pics or videos here of your setup. The more center mount setups we can git together, the more we'll convince people to ditch their stock side mount setups :)

A guy would half to find a turbo that works well and fits nice. Then get pre bent pieces build a jig and weld it all up for selling. But Depening on the time invested if it would be worth what you would make selling is how I look at it

Thot about selling a "kit". But the work involved, even after having all the parts... yeah. Not as easy as bolting on an att. From rerouting oil cooler lines, to drilling and tapping holes in the block to bolt the bottom part of the mount to. It is not easy. But, I like to think center mount is the reason I can spool an hx55 almost as fast as my super40.

Back