• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Center Mount Turbo Questions

dragogt

Reaction score
Its possible to run a center mount turbo, but would be a bad choice just because the stock turbo is the biggest turbo that will fit along with other issues that make it very difficult to install a different turbo. Your pretty much be stuck with stock or ALOT of fab work, more than a banks manifold swap would be.

This has me curious as to what the issues are when trying to convert to a center mount setup, in my pea brain it would seem the optimum setup to reduce back pressure and boost; (which in my mind is restricted air flow anyway) Seeing as both Ford and GM have gone this direction.

Granted you have to move the FFM as well as redo the plumbing, but what else is there??

* Disclaimer I'm going to be putting the drivetrain from my k2500 in a ranger, so I will be customizing stuff anyway to make it work...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Bigger turbo won't physically fit between the 3 peice intake manifold set up. If you made a custom intake you might be able to fit a bigger tubo, but (going off memory now) it seems the center mount turbo is bolted directly to the engine valley to accomidate the oil return.
Im sure a bigger turbo can be done, but it would be alot of reengineering. Whats the old saying? "when theres a will there is a way" it just may cost alot:)

Also the way the gm6 feeds into the 3piece manifold (different bolt angles than truck manifold)is a pain in the ashtray. Speaking of ashtrays, mine had to go along with factory doghouse cove and center trimwork to put in the turbo on a n/a hummer. In a truck you have to chop the heck out of your firewall, redo most of the wiring and ducting under the windshield. Or lift kit and reposition some things.

For the ranger- i hope its 4wd and getting a lift kit, then it wouldnt be to bad. I would say stick with idea of truck manifold, heavily modified. Definitely do show us some pics, please.

Bigger turbo won't physically fit between the 3 peice intake manifold set up. If you made a custom intake you might be able to fit a bigger tubo, but (going off memory now) it seems the center mount turbo is bolted directly to the engine valley to accomidate the oil return.
Im sure a bigger turbo can be done, but it would be alot of reengineering. Whats the old saying? "when theres a will there is a way" it just may cost alot:)

Humm, ok I will definitely take your word for it as you know way more than I do; But for some reason I still have an itch that's not cooperating..

Also the way the gm6 feeds into the 3piece manifold (different bolt angles than truck manifold)is a pain in the ashtray. Speaking of ashtrays, mine had to go along with factory doghouse cove and center trimwork to put in the turbo on a n/a hummer. In a truck you have to chop the heck out of your firewall, redo most of the wiring and ducting under the windshield. Or lift kit and reposition some things.

For the ranger- i hope its 4wd and getting a lift kit, then it wouldnt be to bad. I would say stick with idea of truck manifold, heavily modified. Definitely do show us some pics, please.

Ok thanks that helps some, and ya as far as the ranger it will be sas'd; Its been done before just NA w/ auto I'm just gonna copy what he did...

I put a Cummins 12v in a 96 and was told a body lift kit was required. I was determined to do it without a lift, AND DID. "When there a will there a way", just ask Will:rolleyes5:.

Don't let my word stop you from a bigger center mount, you might be the one that figures out a way. I garranty you'll learn something new in the process.

Roger, and yeah like I said its an itch that I'll have to scratch sooner or later; But first I have to get there. Shoot I can't even find van stuff local to me and I don't want to pay "retail" on a project...

If you can do it with truck heads and intake manifold it would be a lot easier to modify. You could use van (or better yet banks) exhaust manifolds to bring the exhaust to the back and just build custom pipeing from turbo output to truck intake manifold. Truck Heads are easier to find, and van intake manifold is taller(hood clearance), does not flow as well and wmi or propane is a biatch compared to truck.
Also truck intake is wider and would allow for bigger turbo up top center easier than stock size.

Turbovanman chime in? Is that why yours is down below?

Thanks for the info, I definitely have a lot to learn..

If you can do it with truck heads and intake manifold it would be a lot easier to modify. You could use van (or better yet banks) exhaust manifolds to bring the exhaust to the back and just build custom pipeing from turbo output to truck intake manifold. Truck Heads are easier to find, and van intake manifold is taller(hood clearance), does not flow as well and wmi or propane is a biatch compared to truck.
Also truck intake is wider and would allow for bigger turbo up top center easier than stock size.

Turbovanman chime in? Is that why yours is down below?

I am cheap, errrr frugal, lol. I did mine like I did because fab and hassle wise, it was easier for me, I didn't need to buy another engine and I can run any turbo I want, plus the cost. My way cost me a bit for parts, labour is free. Also, I didn't need to modify my dog house at all, so my interior remains stock and functional.

As for running the center mount engine, as said, the turbo bolts to the back of the engine and there are 2 galleys for the oil return and feed, and if you do run that setup, your stuck with the stock turbo. IF your looking for stock power levels, then swap away, if you want more, simply fab up your own center mount setup using the van up pipes.

Definitely feel ya on the "frugal" part lol and thanks for the pics. Do you have any of the van up pipes you could post for me?

Back