• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

cd/dvd drive not working

trouttrooper

Big Blocks ROCK!!!
Reaction score
OK, I'm starting to get past annoyance into pissed off. HP Pavillion ZV6000 laptop with XP. I put any type of disk in, close the door, listen to it click and clunk and spin up the disk a little bit like it's always done on an initial disk read. Then it just quits. Computer acts like there's no disk in there.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled driver, checked for updates. Updated firmware. Checked BIOS. Went to windows update and did every update that looked remotely associated with CD drivers.

What am I missing? Ironically my department computer that is still on XP is doing the same thing. Our internal tech support said there was no more support for that particular computer (MPC), that they are aware of the CD/DVD drive issue, the latest windows update messed up something on XP platforms drivers, and the solution is to reinstall XP without the latest update or get a new computer.

Is my HP in the same boat? I don't use the CD drive hardly at all so I don't know how long it's been like this. My department computer is another story, it started acting up about 3 months ago. Still waiting for the replacement for that one :mad2: . Pretty pathetic when I can't give my reports to the prosecutor because my stupid computer is outdated.

thanks guys

I'm no expert but have you tried a system restore to a point before the update?

Update of sorts I guess.....I gave up. :shrug: This poor laptop is coming close to seeing it's final days. Certainly can't complain, I've had it for about 7-8 years I think, XP wasn't that old. It may well be the drive is physically "broken". I'm not spending any money to fix it. The case is broken in several spots, the letter "B" broke off for no reason, I have literally worn off the top layer of the built in mouse pad, has a hard time keeping up with videos or gif's. Getting to be ancient technology. My desktop is actually older, but still chugging along, albeit kinda slow on the graphics side of things. I think a new computer is in order this year.

Thanks for the advice anyways :)

Old?

I'm still using a compaq armada 1700 to flash and tune my PCM's.

:dunno:

Everything still works (including drive) but it's now "off grid" and I haven't updated xp in years....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you go under the start tab and select my computer, does your DVD drive show up? If not you have a registry issue in your computer caused by the WINDOWS update about 4 months ago. I just went through this with my almost brand new desktop unit. I had it less than a month and it started doing this, but the DVD icon was gone from the computer window. I don't rememebr which registry files I had to edit, but I deleted some of them so that WINDOWS would reinstall them fresh and now it works.

If an update messed this up MS will realize they messed up and fix it silently in the next up date. So first I would make sure I had XP up to date. Not just auto matic security updates but open windows update and take all the updates manually (except the ones that are like for Office or other that would obviously not have any thing to do with this issue)

And if all that don't work.
Open add remove programs. Look for the windows security updates. Start removing them in reverse date order rebooting and checking your drive it see if it starts working.

Then let windows update. Also make sure you are at Service Pack 3 the last one for XP. You can download that separately and update all the PC's you have with XP. It fixes a lot of annoying XP issues.

I'm still using as my easy chair PC a Compac Evo N800C of about 2001 vintage. Its been rebuilt/repaired several times but soldiers on.

If an update messed this up MS will realize they messed up and fix it silently in the next up date. So first I would make sure I had XP up to date. Not just auto matic security updates but open windows update and take all the updates manually (except the ones that are like for Office or other that would obviously not have any thing to do with this issue)

And if all that don't work.
Open add remove programs. Look for the windows security updates. Start removing them in reverse date order rebooting and checking your drive it see if it starts working.

Then let windows update. Also make sure you are at Service Pack 3 the last one for XP. You can download that separately and update all the PC's you have with XP. It fixes a lot of annoying XP issues.

I'm still using as my easy chair PC a Compac Evo N800C of about 2001 vintage. Its been rebuilt/repaired several times but soldiers on.

I know microsoft knows about this as there are SEVERAL posts on there tech forum about it, and it seems that there have been a few updates since and none of them have fixed it. I lucked out and found the DVD drive files in my registry and deleted them, then re-installed teh drivers and works again. I know not even the CCLEANER could find it when I did a scan with it, but it was definately a registry problem.

I've done just about all of what you guys are suggesting. The DVD does show up in the "my computer" window and of course it says it's working fine. The HP is just an internet surfing device anymore. My desktop is my workhorse. Quite frankly I have no clue when the drive stopped working. It's been many months since I used it last. I was just too lazy to go downstairs the other night to look at our family portrait CD we had gotten.

Too many things on the fix-it list, and this is wayyy at the bottom.

Back