• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

cat

dusty

Reaction score
i don't know if im in the right place or not but need some advice early 1999 4x4 2500hd 2100000km. my exhaust was altered when i bought the truck it has stock down pipe on it then is 4in. all the way to the end with a muffler but no cat does it make any or much difference without the cat. and should i change the downpipe to 4in. thanks in advance

Getting a 4 inch Downpipe in there would be like trying to get Oprah into a thong, Aint happenin...As far as Needing the soot trap(commonly referred to as the cat) the only reason you would need it is to pass your local emmisions"IF THEY REQUIRE IT". It can easily pass without it unless they do a physical inspection for it.

Well, I miss GMCTD's little colorful explanations so I try to make some of my own. I guess mine are more repulsive than colorful....:rofl:

Kenny, those little mice will haunt you for the Oprah thing.

Dusty, my '94 came with a "cat" = soot trap. I KNOW THIS GUY that

took his off, rammed a pipe through it cutting out the substrate/monolith through the center. Then THIS GUY welded the pipe in place and reattached it to the exaust. Sounds better, lower exhaust temps, better fuel mileage, and best of all, the "thunk test" of whacking the "cat" to see if it was emptied will not fail.

Y'know, it's illegal in Commiefornia to alter smog equipment...
I'm not sure in Alberta. We do have a few members up there.

Back