• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cat converter delema

Well, I did my cateotomy tonight. Man, that is some nasty stuff in there. When I blew my nose, pure black came out :eek:

It's a ceramic honeycomb, and mine was about plugged up solid. My truck idles much quieter now, which surprised me. I was hoping to get some turbo whine out of it, but not a bit. Biggest surprise of the night though...I got the flange bolts off! I still had to cut it on the back part because, although I got the clamp loose, I couldn't get the pipes to slide apart due to the crimp the clamp created. No worries, just cut it and welded it back. No real seat of the pants power difference that I noticed, but it sounds a little more V8 like now then it used to under power. I'm curious to see how the milage is affected.

Anyone know what the insulation mat that was outside the ceramic was made of? It sure made me cough...can't be good for the health! For those who are doing this, get a simple dust mask, it's seriously dusty and nasty.

Mine looked like fiberglass to me. Put a turbomaster on. You'll hear some whine. Or I could just loan you my wife. Plenty of whining there.............

Turbomaster is already on, but I don't have a gauge, so I haven't played with it. The PO installed it, and it's not throwing lights, so I'm assuming it's pretty mild, possibly moreso then stock.

I can't say exactly for which company, but I can tell you that I do work for a company that makes catalytic converters and also DPFs, such as the ones on our trucks.

The substrate inside is just ceramic in the "soot traps" that are on our trucks. They serve to afterburn, so to speak, the exhaust particles.

A catalytic converters on gas engines and diesels now are made with the same ceramic substrate, with precious metals such as rhodium and platinum on them. Literally, it gets reduced with acid, then applied to the ceramic substrate.

DPFs are cheap. Catalytics are expensive.

I can't say exactly for which company, but I can tell you that I do work for a company that makes catalytic converters and also DPFs, such as the ones on our trucks.

The substrate inside is just ceramic in the "soot traps" that are on our trucks. They serve to afterburn, so to speak, the exhaust particles.

A catalytic converters on gas engines and diesels now are made with the same ceramic substrate, with precious metals such as rhodium and platinum on them. Literally, it gets reduced with acid, then applied to the ceramic substrate.

DPFs are cheap. Catalytics are expensive.
What is the insulating material outside the ceramic made from?

Talking to the maintenance supervisor, the insides are ceramic, and the outside shell is stainless. It is basically a hunk of ceramic in a metal tube.

Mine definitely had some kind of insulation between the ceramic and the outside shell. It was about 3/8" thick. It was along the lines of tightly packed fiberglass insulation, similar to what you'd find in a glasspack.

Two weeks ago I removed my brothers soot trap from his 94 k3500 175,000 miles. Should have checked back pressure between it and the turbo outlet, because it was completely full of soot. Chunks of black soot fell out the front and you couldnt shining a light thru it rear to front. BLACK AS COAL. The ceramic mesh looked like it was all there and not broken. I will dig it out of the scrap pile and take some pics.

A pic of the soot in the trap. Almost all of it has fallen out, but it was completely covered in what you see. 175,000 miles

Attachments

• 11-16-08_1224.jpg
    11-16-08_1224.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 18
Back