• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cat converter delema

JeffsJeep04

Reaction score
With their value on the scrap market, I'm a little hesitant to cut it out and gut it, when I can bring it in whole and get a chunk of change. I'm assuming diesel cats are worth the big bucks too? Anyone brought theirs in for scrap? What's the factory pipe size, 2.75"? I may just get a test pipe to weld in to hold me until I can do the exhaust, but with 180k and counting on the factory cat, I'm sure it's plugged about solid.

Ours are worthless, they contain no precious metals. They are not even cat converters, they are merely a soot trap... aka a metal filter.

Ah, well, that solves that then...out comes the big screw driver :D She's definitely got one though, I've heard all the post 92(?) trucks had them until the duramax came out.

I haven't forgotten about you either, I just keep forgetting to grab that cover in the mornings...lol.

took mine out for the 5" turbo back system and only got $35 for the cat, guy said if it were a gasser cat and for the size it woulda been like $250

even if it had any goodies in it,,, over the last 3 weeks,, all commiditie prices,, have crapped out!!! some copper and brass prices, that were allmost 3 bucks a pound a few weeks back are now like >50cents per pound.:sad: Bad news for scrapers,,, just hold on to it till spring,, if you can!

My 98 has, ugh umm, had a cat. I took it off and thought about scraping it, after reading this I'm glad I didn't. I thought it was wierd that I had a "F" engine with no emissions but still had a cat.

Take a 3" pipe and it will slide right over the stock pipe. Probably not the best but that is what I had layin around and it slide over perfectly. Ran a bead around it an no leaks yet.

I took mine in and they gave me "large cat" price for it. i think it was $100 or something like that. i told them that there wasn't any metal in it but he didn't care :D love the 4" i got now ;)

Our cats literally just have a screen mesh in them...which is a joke if you ask me.

When I had my 6.5 I took the cat off because I thought it'd help reduce EGTs, it really didnt change that I could tell.

My 6.5 TD was a dump-truck.

Back