• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cant beat a 6.5

oilslick

Reaction score
Hey I just wanted to say after just buying a e350 with a 6.0 powerstroke[not running] I am coming to the realization that I will only own a 6.5 or a d-max in the future!! If you think you have problems go to the 6.0 forums!!!!! You absolutly will not believe the stuff that goes wrong with these!! I pulled the body off to work on my engine and it is still a bear. Found a broken injector tip took out piston, turn out tips break so if I do get a different engine in it as soon asit runs good enough to sell she will go bye bye,meanwhile my old waste oil burning smoker just keeps taking me to work everyday,knock on wood.

Not only what goes wrong but what it costs to fix.:eek: The pick-ups have to have the cab removed to replace the injectors[WTF!]:mad2:

A buddy has an F 350 dually with 6.0 PS. With the Edge programmer, it's a beast. He's had 110K near trouble free miles. I tell him he is the exception, not the norm. Apparently his mechanic knows this as he has a standing offer to buy this 6.0. No other 6.0, just this one ;-)

A friend of mine knows the head mechanic at a local school bus company. All the buses are Internationals and fairly new(04-08 I'd say) and they have the 6.0 in them. He asked the head mech how many issues they've had with a fleet a 6.0 powered buses. I was shocked that they've had no problems with any of them. Here's the kicker. Those engines don't have the EGR/EGR cooler or any other emissions BS on them from what he was told.

Seems that when the engine is run as it was designed as a medium duty engine it's fine, but slap the emissions crap on them so they can be installed in pickups and everything goes to hell in a hurry.

Not sure if this is true or not as it's second hand info, however if it is true it's very interesting.

The 6.0 PS is known for blowing head gaskets. You have to remove the entire cab to replace them. That includes the Excursions! I imagine the resale value of the Excursion with 6.0 must be bad. I know the Excursions with 7.3 are very much in Demand. I was looking at one, but it was leather (I have dogs) and I got my '99 Burb for less than half the price. Plus I'm already down the learning curve with the 6.5.

Last edited:
It's the cost that turns me off new(er) diesels.

I mean really, I can change all eight of the injectors in my 6.5 for around 250 bucks with new not rebuilts!

Try that with any of the newer diesels. I've yet to see anybody quote anything less than a grand for injectors.........yeesh.

I'll keep my power limited to 200 hp 6.5 piece of crap, thank-you-very-much.

Yea I agree with BJ.

I would love to have a 02 7.3 PS, but the cost for the replacement parts is over the top & the Ford auto trans also leaves something to be desired another concern.

Not to mention have ya priced an F250 that is clean with the 7.3 in it, they are out of site, unless they have 200K or more miles...I can not justify what they want for one.

The 6.0 was put in production for about the first six months with zero emission crap added to the motor. These are the ones that everyone has or wants that have no problems. I have a buddy with one and he has had zero problems with his and he has it turned up a little.

I will never own a ford diesel, mainly because parts are severly over priced.

The 6.0 was put in production for about the first six months with zero emission crap added to the motor. These are the ones that everyone has or wants that have no problems. I have a buddy with one and he has had zero problems with his and he has it turned up a little.

I will never own a ford diesel, mainly because parts are severly over priced.

Yep my buddy with the near-trouble free 6.0 PS has the earliest edition. I'll confirm if he has the Emission stuff on it, but I doubt it, as I know his soot trap is gutted. He has the 5 spd manual in a F 350 dually. He knew the Ford auto trannies were crap.

Last edited:
Yea I agree with BJ.

I would love to have a 02 7.3 PS, but the cost for the replacement parts is over the top & the Ford auto trans also leaves something to be desired another concern.

Not to mention have ya priced an F250 that is clean with the 7.3 in it, they are out of site, unless they have 200K or more miles...I can not justify what they want for one.

Here's one for sale cheap $12,500 obo, but it's down in Baja with a cracked windshield and a puncture hole in the lower portion of the rear door:

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/vehicles/279847-2001-f250-diesel-4x4.html

The last poster in the thread is a fishing buddy and he's an experienced 7.3 PS owner. I passed on his '02 Excursion with 7.3 PS and 110K miles. He eventually sold that for close to $15K. KBB on it was $12K at best. I did not want the leather with my dogs, so I went with my '99 Burb instead.

I've called him to see if he checked out the F 250, bought or passed on it and why?

Last edited:
Why not? I beat my 6.5 a lot. The one I just tore down here had an injector fail and melt the piston.

The big difference is ease of service. (Do a gear drive water pump on a Duramax just once and you may decide to stay 6.5 only.)

hmmm never knew that.... I our 03 6.0 used the ford dealer as a garage, injectors, head gasket EGR cooler, trans all before 100K miles biggest piece of crap ever put in a truck right up there with the 350 diesel

Last edited by a moderator:
biggest piece of crap ever put in a truck right up there with the 350 diesel

I have no major affinity for the 5.7 Diesel, but I surmise it like with the 6.2/6.5 got a lot of bad press because of folks not understanding limitations of the light duty nature of it in stock form, since it was a Diesel wanting to pull tons of freight with it and killing it when engine really wasn't set up to be a freight/Hd puller.

Some folks love the 5.7 Diesel, but I'm ever grateful that GM did move to the 6.2/6.5.

My Brother In Law just bought a 6.0 despite me trying to talk him out of it, now expects me to be his Diesel guy in case it has issues, I corrected him to when it has issues his is an 04, I'm thinking that may be asking too much from your In Laws.

We just had a new shop about a mile down the road that works on Fords only, when I asked the owner why Fords only, he said because that is where the money is :)

What does that tell you about Ford trucks ??? ;)

I do beat mine so I guess it is beatable ,my bad!!!! Seriously I am thinking about boning up on these 6.0 fords just to make some side job cash but I am reluctant for a lot of reasons, the main thing is that so far it has been no fun to work on!!

I had an 04 Excursion w/ the edge w/ attitude, CAI, and a 4" exhaust turbo back. The thing would haul a*&. I averaged about 22 mpg's doing 85 on the fwy. I did go through 2 turbos though. Luckily they were covered under warranty. I sold it and got the Burb due to the economy.

I had an 04 Excursion w/ the edge w/ attitude, CAI, and a 4" exhaust turbo back. The thing would haul a*&. I averaged about 22 mpg's doing 85 on the fwy. I did go through 2 turbos though. Luckily they were covered under warranty. I sold it and got the Burb due to the economy.

Rodd, I do not understand your comment. If you where getting 22mpg with 04 Excursion, why get a Burb ?? Now I am assuming its a6.5TD Burb :)

My dad bought the 1st 6.0 off of the local lot in 03 while trading in his 99 Crew Cab Dually 7.3 with a slipping tranny and 300K trouble free miles. ~180K miles, 3 cracked 6.0 blocks, 1 tranny, 2 turbos, and 2 new injectors a month for a year he decided it may run like a beast but it costs too much to keep it going. Had a 5 in straight pipe, cold air intake, and edge tuner(i think) The dealer gave him a tuner to see if it would help, it didn't make any difference in longevity but it ran better.

On the other hand my grandpa just traded in his 05 Crew Cab short bed 4x4 Kingranch w/ 6.0 and had 120,000 miles of trouble free rv towing on it. Took the truck all the way to alaska a couple times, maine, cali, florida, and many other places pulling the RV. Not sure of the size of rv but it has 3 or 4 slide outs and a toy hauler in the back (he hauls equip back there for disaster relief). I almost cried when i heard he got rid of it, I woulda bought it in a heart beat!

Back