• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Can you turn the TC off?

Drago

Reaction score
I noticed when my fuel system (clogged sock) went bad, my TC turned off. I'm guessing this was done to protect the motor. I run without a load most of the time and have a 4:10 rear end. Can I turn it off and maybe save some fuel? My son's N/A truck gets 19 to 20 MPG consistently.

Basically I installed my own TC control switch and I also have 4:10 gears, so down the highway the motors in a fairly nice RPM for towing, but not so good for.... just driving around, So at highway speeds of 60 MPH engaging the TC lockup i drop about 200-300 rpm's NOT a lot but it does help right, little less rpm a little less boost a little further on the fuel! ha ha

You might lose MPG by not locking it. If its a case of engine luging then down shift. Also trans will run much hotter when not in lock up. I believe TC is locked in third gear?

As far as I know, turbo's dont "turn off" they are a function of 2 things: exhaust gasses from the engine, and the wastegate system. It wont just "turn off"

Why I assumed he meant converter. Easiest thing would be to put an ATT on it & get NA trucks mpg, but have the power too!

Leroy is right. It sounds like a sales pitch, but it is true. Those things are awesome and will pay for themselves eventually. Probably only thing I own that I can say thay about.

I do notice that my start and stop mpg are better with the gm6 added and hiway mpg suffers now. Got me to thinking about a home made tm out of a solenoid like the fuel shut off from an old cummins being used for the control rod. Then a switch to turn on and off turbo (like the old night rider tv show) pulling a hill and egt gets too high , flip the switch. Flat ground down the interstate, flip the switch.

I get 'zactly what your saying Drago. Here is the thing- all big rigs run turbos for power and more importantly mpgs. It is all about the exhaust flow. None of the big rigs run this screwy design of the gm-x . The 6.2and 6.5 was built with out a turbo then added it as an after thought of trading fuel for power. They look at marketability not what is actually best. If so they would have built a 3-1/2" exhaust behind a free flowing turbo. Instead after market went to 4" too get the most bang for your buck and figured out the hx40 platform or the ATT. Think long term fuel mileage savings, long term serviceability and you'll come to the right answer. To me it was not that much research to see what is best.

I need more money to play with so i can test the first ATT in place of gm6. Building my own custom exhaust is on my short list, I have the 4 3/8" id pipe for it, just need the time. Good luck.

IIRC the vac/turbo fails in the wastegate open position. all you would need is a way to open the vac system via a solenoid.

I assume you are seeing the 6 PSI boost at cruise or with no throttle? The turbo is so small on this engine it acts like a belt drive supercharger generating boost regardless of the throttle.

The crossover design and turbo manifold is from the same GM morons who designed the 4 PSI drop on the LLY Duramax engine. Airflow is something GM hasn't done well to the determent of MPG and power. GM's has gotten their ass kicked in the diesel market several times over it and they still haven't learned. Dodge was the first to drop a sewer pipe on for a exhaust.

So you not only have a turbo that is giving you issues for MPG, but, a manifold design that runs the driver side exhaust past 2 exhaust ports in a narrow channel. Turbulence adds to the narrow restriction there.

So even with a 4" exhaust and ATT turbo I am not getting 19 to 20 MPG. I do do better than the GM3 and it really depends on the load. The harder I work the truck by towing etc. the better the MPG improvement gets. More load the MPG goes down for both turbo's, but, it goes down more for the GM3 than the ATT. 7 MPG for the GM3 towing 10% grades and 10.4 MPG for the ATT same route.

Currently my 1993 is beating my Duramax in town by 1MPG.

With the above I say you have a few choices.

1) Go with a NA setup. Obtain 6.2 manifolds used cheap and go dual exhaust. Turn the fuel down with a N/A tune.

2) Go with a Banks manifold, ATT, and 4" exhaust.

3) Just get a ATT and 4" exhaust.

Back