• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Can I use a 6.2 DB2-4779 to replace a 6.5TD DB2-4911 injection pump?

I hope those are the only two cracks:rolleyes5:. I haven't turned the crank to expose whats hiding behind the counter weights, and I probably don't want too. There is no telling if this is the original HB. I do have a stack of faded repair receipts, from the previous owner, that i could look through, but that's an old dog not worth chasing.

I thought the 599 blocks were some of the best GM blocks as well. That sucks- scared to drop the pan on Big T now. Sometimes ignorance is bliss!

I just had to know, now I must live with this knowledge:nonod:

I must press on though, my entire truck build is reliant on this motor and in all reality this block has probably been cracked from the day I bought it:mad2:. I'm not planing on hauling massive loads through mountainous roads or turning this thing to make as much power as these engines can make; I simply need a highway cruiser, to go hunting, and something to haul my small boat. I will just have to live with knowing there is cracks down in there. I will be sending the heads to the engine shop, to get checked out (and hope for the best); if they check out I will put it back together ,and at the lest, buy myself some time. Until then, I'll just have to start a new piggy bank for a re-power down the road.

Can anyone share their knowledge of using a 6.2 long block with 6.5 heads? or guide me to a good thread on that subject.

Also, can anyone share their knowledge of "lock-&-stitch"? or guide me to a good thread on that subject. I would like to know more on how this is done and what is involved in the process.

Once again thank you to all that keep re-posting to this thread. I appreciate it!

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...x-for-bottom-end-issues&highlight=locknstitch

Don't panic too much, I have seen cracked blocks like that run for a few years in a couple of cases. Just don't hammer it or try all the power mods. Ease up on the throttle and accelerate a little slower-then you also get to enjoy a bit more fuel savings. Obviously no guarantee it will make it years but I've stretched out life on a couple cracked 6.5s.

6.5 heads will work fine on a 6.2, they are the same except for precups and the early 6.2's, IE 83-85? sic, have larger valves.

Mine block is badly cracked but I've beaten the living shit out of it since I found out over a year ago, put 60,000+ km's on her and she's still going strong. I have a GEP short block as a backup when it blows. :rof:

Back