• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Can Fuel Filter Manager (FFM) be eliminated?

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
As the thread title shows, is this a bad idea to get it out of the valley on top of the engine? I'm wondering about having it along the frame rail or about using a different lift pump/filter setup also along the frame rail. I'm not sure I would have space in the engine bay area, but I guess that could also be a consideration.

As the thread title shows, is this a bad idea to get it out of the valley on top of the engine? I'm wondering about having it along the frame rail or about using a different lift pump/filter setup also along the frame rail. I'm not sure I would have space in the engine bay area, but I guess that could also be a consideration.
@dbrannon79 mounted a much larger filtering system on the firewall of His truck.
I dont know if He totally eliminated the FFM system though.

Yes, I totally eliminated the FFM from the truck. Now this will be a warning to those who live in a colder climate where the fuel filter heater might be needed. the FFM has a built in heater element which you can also get aftermarket fuel heaters if needed. but since I live in Texas where it rarely ever gets cold enough to worry about, I went without it.

there are no issues disconnecting the heater and WIF connectors from the FFM and leaving them unplugged. there will be no lights on the dash.

I mounted a unit on the firewall and ran the hoses over top of the intake so there not in the valley in all the heat of the engine. it uses 3/8" hose so this also does the feed the beast mod as well. I did have to replace the fitting on the IP to accommodate the 3/8" hose too.

Here is the filter unit I installed. it has an extra threaded port if you wanted to add a WIF sensor and connect to the factory harness.

Here is te fitting I used on the IP. I did have to take my drill and open up the inside diameter of the fitting for better flow. but that was an easy thing. this fitting will thread into the filter screen on the IP for the DS4 pump.

I think I have a pic on my phone how I mounted mine. I will look and post here in a couple of minutes.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, I totally eliminated the FFM from the truck. Now this will be a warning to those who live in a colder climate where the fuel filter heater might be needed. the FFM has a built in heater element which you can also get aftermarket fuel heaters if needed. but since I live in Texas where it rarely ever gets cold enough to worry about, I went without it.

there are no issues disconnecting the heater and WIF connectors from the FFM and leaving them unplugged. there will be no lights on the dash.

I mounted a unit on the firewall and ran the hoses over top of the intake so there not in the valley in all the heat of the engine. it uses 3/8" hose so this also does the feed the beast mod as well. I did have to replace the fitting on the IP to accommodate the 3/8" hose too.

Here is the filter unit I installed. it has an extra threaded port if you wanted to add a WIF sensor and connect to the factory harness.

Here is te fitting I used on the IP. I did have to take my drill and open up the inside diameter of the fitting for better flow. but that was an easy thing. this fitting will thread into the filter screen on the IP for the DS4 pump.

I think I have a pic on my phone how I mounted mine. I will look and post here in a couple of minutes.
Looks like a Racor Marine Diesel filter.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
dbrannon, how do you keep from slopping fuel? Drain pain underneath?
There's a barb on the drain of the bowl. when I replace the filter I only drain it enough so that when I remove the filter, fuel doesn't spill unscrewing it. then with it off the truck I can drain and clean the bowl. reinstall with new filter and use the top bleeder to let out the air while using the LP to prime.

it's a fairly quick process.

even with the really cold winter we had before, I never really had any issues with the fuel gelling in the filter. as long as I dose the tank when it's gonna need it. once the engine warms up, the heat under the hood helps too.

Back