• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Camshaft bearings. Share all,

Like that go-no go system idea for NEW cam bearings/NEW cam combination, @MrMarty51. Yes, very difficult to use an inside calipers and a micrometer to measure vertical and horizontal cam bearing diameters with installed bearings with the block on a stand - let alone sitting in a vehicle. The go-no go reminds me of the go-no go key we used with our Ma Deuce .50 Cal machine guns to check headspace and timing after reassembly.

@Will L. When I changed out the wiped-off, lobe-less cam in the wheezy 305 in my old '83 G20 conversion van (before I dropped my built 310hp 327 into it) and put a new cam/lifters into it, I just used the old trick of a 6" bolt threaded into the front of the cam as a handle and my other hand at the front of the block as support to pull the old cam out and insert the new cam in - and did it with the engine still in the van!

Problem with go/no go is that is a snug fitting device and cam bearing face is easily scratched and damaged.
Ah, but if they were made of something softer, like HDPE or copper (is brass softer than cam bearing face material?) then you're good to go (or no-go)!

No. Your fingernail ruins a cam bearing. I cant think of a material soft enough to not damage yet strong enough to feel the resistance. You can’t use snap gauges to measure them, it has to be the kind with the roller wheels to not damage.

What I (and others) have done it buy multiple sets of bearings. Install a set then do fitment and run tests. Then get the next set in that is tighter or looser and do them.

The handle idea is good one out the camshaft-just need the leverage, right?
Or a good set of forearm muscles! Actually, it's not that bad when you have your other hand up against the block to support/guide the back end of the camshaft into the block, as you push the cam back and of course plenty of lube on the cam bearings and lobes, too.

Back