• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Camo Wrap...Honest opinions needed

Pepperidge

Member Advocate
Reaction score
I'm about to get my new bumper and my faded fender flares repainted...

My truck is pewter and I could get this done for just $100 more than just painting those parts...I plan on doing the cognito leveling kit and also having the wheels coated black

I'll post a pic of the accent kit first...and a pic of my truck(01') next to an 06' style bumpered truck...the wrap would also cover the painted part of the 06' style bumper...

attachment.php

I'm going to take a stab at photoshopping this look onto my truck later to get an idea of what it would look like...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2262accent-kit-1.jpg
    2262accent-kit-1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 127
  • PICT1137.jpg
    PICT1137.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 126
It is a different look thats for sure Pepp, but I like it. It's always nice to be different. If you are to get it and down the road don't like it how bad will it be to get off?

BTW while your photochopping be sure to get rid of the DP jug. :smile5:

Honestly, I like the bumper and grill better on the 01's better myself.That's probably because I had an 01 6.0 gasser.
The 03+(?) GMC's have that ginormous gap between the bumper and grill/lights. Yours is nice and close.

Paint the cap (and maybe the lower valence) pewter and keep your bumper IMO.

You aren't seriously thinking of having all that redneck camo shit painted on your truck I hope?

I'm not a fan of the camo either. Had I grown up in the south, maybe a different story. It isnt bad, just not my yankee style.

I much prefer the newer style GMC's. I liked my 04 LLY style better than the 01-02's and the gap never bothered me a bit. The gap was to accommodate a 2" body lift for the Allison. Someone on the other site a year or two ago found a way to match it up perfectly.

Why not go with some newer wheels? Like a 16x7 or a 16x8 to give it a more aggressive stance? My American Racing Mojave's were like $150 per wheel. Not expensive by any means.

the gap is filled with a black plastic peice seen on the other truck...but I'm told that if I use 1500 bumper brackets...I can take off the filler strip from the grille and there would be no gap...or black plastic piece between the bumper and painted flare...seemed like the grille and bumper set from GM was some kinda oops! after thought...

Nick had a black GMC truck so it didn't look any where near as bad...Some have had that filler strip color keyed to match the paint...

My big issue with the whole pewter thing is that it's a lot of colored parts to be looking at...the other truck just looks way too color keyed...I' was even thinking of having the bumper Rhino'd or linex'd black for protection and to set it off somehow...

Pewter trucks look pretty good with black wheels...

Nick the wheels may cost only $150 aea...but why pay for new ones when I can get them coated with ceramikote(sp?) for the cost of materials...

Just didnt know if you wanted a wider wheel or anything. The stock 16x6.5 are really skinny....With a wider wheel, the truck has a much beefier stance up front. To me, it gave it a more aggressive look.

My 04 was carbon metallic, which was that dark charcoal green. I wanted that indigo blue, the same color as my 99 Tahoe was. I really liked that color but they didnt offer it for some reason on the 04's.

I personally dont mind the gap in the front. It was the classic look of a 3/4 or a 1 ton, not to be confused with a half ton. I had a buddy at work who had a 1500HD and he didnt have the gap and with both our GMC's side by side, I always thought mine looked way better. Just a more aggressive look maybe, I dont know.

I think your fender flares would look good linuxed or Rhyno'd.

Pepp I'll be doing the cammo thing myself, but full body wrap vs paint, for me reason why is I'm in woods a lot, and life cost of wrap vs. maintaining paint/clear coat over time is lower, wrap is more durable & scratch resistant than paint/cc. my redneck mag base CB mount rusts the roof so I need some extra protection there also

I would have to say I agree with the camo thing... not too keen on it myself, however, the wheel idea, I do like.

Same with what Nick said about the tires and wheels. I like the idea of a larger wheel/tire too. Definitely more aggressive looking.
Just didnt know if you wanted a wider wheel or anything. The stock 16x6.5 are really skinny....With a wider wheel, the truck has a much beefier stance up front. To me, it gave it a more aggressive look.

life of camo wrap is supposed to around 5 years...colors printed on the vinyl like a bumper sticker eventually fade...

Pepp,

A coworker has an Avalanche 2500 (rare here) with the cammo wrap. He got it about a year and a half ago and while you don't have the harsh enviroment we do (sand, alkali, heat, cold, etc) his is peeling off and the vendor won't redo it because it's "normal wear and tear"

YMMV

upper body surfaces? all over?

I was just gonna do the lower wrap like pictured plus the painted bumper surface...

Is it applied to those gray plastic textured body panels?

maybe that's the problem?:confused:

Avalanche 2500 doesn't have plastic lowers. As soon as my new digital comes in I will send a pic, it parks right next to me every day.

make me wonder if the guy used quality materials and prepped the surface properly...

The good ones use 3M vinyl with a pressure sensitive adhesive...CamoClad(I believe)

there are a couple questionable ones(mfrs.) out there...

Pepp,

A coworker has an Avalanche 2500 (rare here) with the cammo wrap. He got it about a year and a half ago and while you don't have the harsh enviroment we do (sand, alkali, heat, cold, etc) his is peeling off and the vendor won't redo it because it's "normal wear and tear"

YMMV

Who's kit was it can you find out for me I don't need sumthing that is going to come off, Cabela's has a whole truck wrap kit in their catalog

Back