• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Camber With Cognito UCA's

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
What is everyone's Camber like in the Front?

Do your Wheels / Tires Noticeably Bow In at the Top so that when you Look at them while Standing Back from the Front End they Look like this: / \

It's not that Dramatic on my Truck, but it is Noticeable that they have a Decent amount of Camber to them.

I had a Full Alignment done when I had the Cognito Parts Installed as well.

EDIT: Actually, I think I Found the Problem. In the Cognito Directions, it's not Clear as to Mount the Upper Ball Joint. The way mine is Installed now, the Ball Joint is Mounted On Top of the UCA. But then, farther down in the Directions, it says to Mount it to the Bottom of the UCA.

So then that would prob. also Explain why I have LESS Travel before the Bump Stop for the UCA than I did with the Factory UCA, right?

When I get that Corrected, am I going to need another Alignment?

Last edited:
Mine do not bow in at all. That was my biggest concern over the years.

I'm Hoping it's just because the Ball Joint is on "Wrong". Even though it isn't because in the Directions, it First Says to Drop it through and Bolt it up, then Later, it Says to Mount it from the Bottom of the UCA.

So when it gets Mounted from the Bottom, it should Push the Spindle Out more at the Top, thus taking away some of the Camber, and Flattening the Wheel / Tire out. Also, "Swinging" the UCA Up more, giving me more Clearance at the UCA Bump Stop. Because I didn't Change the Position of the Keys from the Stock UCA's to the Cognito's and I have LESS Clearance with the Cognito's than I did with the Stock UCA's, so I knew something wasn't right, just had to figure out what it was.

My ball joints are mounted from the bottom. Mounting the ball joint under should increase the spacing in the bump stop. Did the alignment shop provide you with the print out that many have showing the before and after the alignment?

My ball joints are mounted from the bottom. Mounting the ball joint under should increase the spacing in the bump stop. Did the alignment shop provide you with the print out that many have showing the before and after the alignment?

Nope, they didn't give me any Paperwork, but I know it was WAY Off before the Cognito Install, and after, it was Terrible. But now it Drives Straight as an Arrow since the Alignment. When I Picked the Truck Up, I Asked if they were able to get it Close to the Cognito Specs and they said they did with no Problems.

But Looking at the Camber, it can't be right. It's Wearing the Inside of the Tires pretty Fast.

But I think with the Ball Joint "Flip" it'll bring the Camber back to Normal.

Here are the spec's that Nick/NorCal gave me for my alignment.

• Caster, +4.0 to +6.0 degrees with both sides within 1/2 degree of one another.
• Camber, 0.0+.25 degrees.
• Toe, 1/16" to 1/8" toe in.

James, I would drop the ball joints under the UCA's and have the truck realigned at a shop that gives you a before and after print out. This way you can see that the front end was set up within the Cognito specifications. It does not sound like it was done correctly if your tires have a wearing issue.

When the instructions said drop it in, I'll bet they forgot to say "with the UCA upside down on the bench"...;)

Here's what it Says in the Instructions:

Mount the supplied ball joints with the 5/16” bolts, flat washers, and locknuts
provided in Hardware Package 9033 to either the top or bottom of the ball joint
pocket of the Cognito upper control arms depending on your application.

Then...

Mount the supplied ball joints with the 5/16” bolts, flat washers, and locknuts
provided in Hardware Package 9033, underneath the ball joint pocket of the
Cognito upper control arms.

But it never Specifies for what App. they should be Mounted for. Whether it be on top or from the Bottom.

But if the Truck was Aligned with the Ball Joints Mounted Wrong, going from the Cognito Alignment Specs, there would be a Decent amount of Camber to it. But if the Ball Joints were Mounted Correctly, the Specs would have went from there, and the Camber wouldn't be as Bad as it is...IMO.

But to get a "Good" Shop out here by me is hard. I'm out in the Middle of nowhere, and to Drive to somewhere that is more Populated, I'm not gonna Leave my Truck where I can't See it, or know who's Working on it. The Neighborhoods "Shift" like that out here.

James, if the shop said they aligned it to your provided specifications I don't think the ball joint being over or under would matter. I would think if the over under made a huge difference they would be unable to achieve the specifications.

Do you have a Town Fair Tire or Firestone out your way? I am with you 100% in not letting the truck out of eye site. When mine was done I was glued to the window separating the shop area from the show room.

Hop on the ferry and we can get you all set out this way.

I just downloaded and read the instructions from Cognito's webpage out of curiosity. Side note to those who haven't read them: The first part of the instructions are to be read if you are not cranking the suspension up and utilizing the leveling ability of the arms and they say you should drop the ball joint in from the top down. I read both halves of the instructions and in the second half of the instructions, that apply to those who are using the arms to level the truck, it doesn't exactly jump out and say install the ball joint from the bottom up, but in Step 4 it says: "Mount the supplied ball joints ... underneath the ball joint pocket of the Cognito upper control arms." (... = list of hardware to use)

Vague as hell instructions? Yup... :nonod: Though they did supply a picture and labeled it "assembled". :rolleyes5:

James, if the shop said they aligned it to your provided specifications I don't think the ball joint being over or under would matter. I would think if the over under made a huge difference they would be unable to achieve the specifications.

Do you have a Town Fair Tire or Firestone out your way? I am with you 100% in not letting the truck out of eye site. When mine was done I was glued to the window separating the shop area from the show room.

Hop on the ferry and we can get you all set out this way.

Thanks. I got an Appointment on Monday at the Shop that did the Install. They said they'd take care of it no Problem.

I've Used this Shop for Years now, know everyone that Works there, they really are a good Group. They just never Heard of Cognito Lifts before until I Started Using their Parts. The Shop just Deals with whatever Lift Companies Keystone does because that's who their Distributor is.

But the Head Installer there was very Impressed with the PISK and Pivot Assembly from Cognito, and said he wanted to get it for his Suburban, so maybe they'll Start to Carry Cognito as well, in the next few Months, or atleast get more Familiar with them.

Awesome, good to hear. Visually does the camber look better?

Absolutely.

The Tires are I'd say 99% Flat Up & Down. Could be the Slight Angle of my Driveway where my Truck is Parked that makes them still Look a lil "Off", but it's Def. ALOT better than it was before.

Sorry to hear you had this problem. I will have to see what I can do about making the instructions better so it's not over looked. But it does sound like you found the issue and looks like its all good now. Let me know if not.

Sorry to hear you had this problem. I will have to see what I can do about making the instructions better so it's not over looked. But it does sound like you found the issue and looks like its all good now. Let me know if not.

Yep, it's all good now Nick. :)

Back