• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Camber Caster Bolt Kit; Which to Get? 1995 Suburban 4x4 2500

CORVAIRWILD

Reaction score
In Arizona, buying another diesel Suburban
I went for a wheel alignment today, and the shop amazingly didn't say I needed any front end parts. They did say I needed a caster camber kit. Amazing at 249k it's never been updated. anyways, they quoted $70 x 2 + $100 labor + the alignment. So I'll do the bolts myself, it's an easy job, but which bolt kit to get? They said they would use Raybestos. RockAuto has AC Delco also, $20 + SH either one

Um, the factory ones are adjusteable. You do have to do the knock outs which is probably what they were refferring to, but the bolts don't need to be changed.

I looked at my Sub today, and the washers are def oblong/offset. I wish I would have talked to the alignment tech, but they asked me to step out of the shop. Neither FLAP can get the kit, which makes me wonder what the deal is??? (I can get it online, just not sure if I need it)

My Haynes manual says Caster and Camber are not adjustable from factory. A kit has to be installed. I can't see anything on mine that could be adjusted as it is.

My Haynes manual says Caster and Camber are not adjustable from factory. A kit has to be installed. I can't see anything on mine that could be adjusted as it is.

From the factory GM put in the offset washers and bolts to do an alignment, but they didn't slot the holes to allow them to adjust. They did perforate the metal so that you can adjust them if needed, but you have to remove the upper control arm from the brackets(just take the bolts out and lay it to the side), and remove the knock outs as we call them to be able to adjust them. I can tell from your video that the knock outs have already been done as the offset washers can only be in the centered position with the knock outs in place. And those upper control arm bushings are SHOT! As to removing the knock outs, they make a tool or you can use an air hamer to do them.

so why does the alignment tech want to get the kit? I re read your post 3 times... So if my knockouts are knocked out, wouldn't the kit have been installed already? I can't imagine the tech is that lost... And the bushings are on their way out, but it was still centered, so actually looked worse than it is

Attachments

• CIMG9725 (Small).JPG
    CIMG9725 (Small).JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 5
From the factory GM put in the offset washers and bolts to do an alignment, but they didn't slot the holes to allow them to adjust. They did perforate the metal so that you can adjust them if needed, but you have to remove the upper control arm from the brackets(just take the bolts out and lay it to the side), and remove the knock outs as we call them to be able to adjust them. I can tell from your video that the knock outs have already been done as the offset washers can only be in the centered position with the knock outs in place. And those upper control arm bushings are SHOT! As to removing the knock outs, they make a tool or you can use an air hamer to do them.

Sooo, I'll have to take off the hardware on the ends of that long bolt where the bushings are to knock out the metal so that the hole is oblong, then reassemble and then adjust, right?

Here's pix of the green Sub (greasy), which supposedly needs kit, and my red '94 (dry from Phoenix).

Attachments

• CIMG9750 (Small).JPG
    CIMG9750 (Small).JPG
    45 KB · Views: 8
  • CIMG9739 (Small).JPG
    CIMG9739 (Small).JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 5
  • CIMG9740 (Small).JPG
    CIMG9740 (Small).JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 4
  • CIMG9741 (Small).jpg
    CIMG9741 (Small).jpg