• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

California Smog

My cousin lived on Oceanfront Walk, Venice CA for over 60 years. The salt air destroyed a car about every 4-5 years. I remember her two year old Celica with the sun roof silicone caulk sealed shut to keep it from leaking because in two years it had started rusting out and leaking - even with weekly car washes. Part of the reason she finally sold the beach house in 2004 and bought a place on a couple of acres and moved to the edge of Yucca Valley, CA.

True if you live near the beach, cars and houses rot. I'm about 17 miles from the beach and not impacted. BTW Venice Beach in CA is not a great place to be. Full of homeless and low lifes. I despise the whole west side of LA for it's traffic and never go there.

Part of the reason she sold the house her parents had bought in 1946 (before all those artificial beaches were barged in, in fact, the house was one of the original beach houses built around 1900 and sat on pilings at the ocean's edge) was because it was no longer the Venice it was up through the 1990's.

Yes, gorgeous views of Malibu and sunsets from the deck or second story balcony, but the house was also suffering from some severe structural problems, beginning in the mid-90's, due to the 90 year old pilings that the house was still resting on had began to deteriorate away. The cost and permitting required to jack up the house, remove the pilings and pour a new concrete foundation under the house and then let it back down was cost prohibitive compared to the value of the house itself. The value of the lot, on the other hand, was the deciding factor in her selling the house and moving out to Vacaville/Joshua Tree.

There was incredible history linked to that house and Hollywood, as it had been used for interior and exterior location shoots for many movies and TV shows (as well as a logistical support area during other shoots) over the years. It was the beach house that was in about half of the movie, The Jazz Singer, with Neil Diamond. It was in the movie, Defense, with Michael Douglas. Pat Morita used it for bathroom breaks and occasional naps while shooting the TV series, O'Hara. The opening scenes sequence for the original Beverley Hills 90210 has kids playing volleyball on the beach net in front of the house, which is clearly seen behind them. Much of the location shooting for Baywatch was done with the lifeguard tower on the beach in front of the house (Malibu was only used for scenes with Hasselhoff or Pamela Anderson) which was renumbered to match the number of the tower at Malibu.

Anyway, it is the salt fog at night and high humidity near the beach that is the death by cancer of California cars.

The Beach, what the Sams Heck is that? :smuggrin:

I know, been there a bunch of times, I am 5 to 6 hours away to get to the nearest one, that is running the speed limit......:nailbiting::smuggrin:

Lets see the last time I saw the Atlantic Ocean might have been, 2012 or 2013, just briefly for 30 minutes maybe.

Last vacation my wife and I took to the beach was 2004, the year a hurricane came through... :mad::rage:

. . . I am 5 to 6 hours away to get to the nearest one, that is running the speed limit......:nailbiting::smuggrin:

You can actually do the speed limit on the way to the beach . . .?

Seems that speed limits along the East Coast are now optimistic as either the sheer volume, or idiots whom treat them as optional and cause back-ups by swerving in dense traffic (or causing collisions), make average speeds close to neighborhood speed levels. Oh and a weekend get-away? Fuhgeddaboutit . . .! Averaging 30 mph makes a stay-cation more attractive.

Don't have that problem out here. Posted speed on I-80 is 75mph, traffic flow is usually about 83mph and our legislature passed a bill last year to raise some stretches to 85mph posted speed. If it weren't for all those semis jamming up the works, traffic flow on the boulevard would be so much smoother and at a steady pace. I can usually make it from my house in Lincoln to my stepmom's in Aurora, CO (480 miles) in about 6 hours 45 minutes actual driving time, did it once in 6:05 from there back home. That's actual driving time, not counting the jump across from Central to Mountain time in western Nebraska.

Drove out of central DC and then northbound on the Beltway to catch I-270 up to Frederick then I-70 into Pennsylvania during Friday evening rush hour traffic in the Burb. That was fun.

You can actually do the speed limit on the way to the beach . . .?

Seems that speed limits along the East Coast are now optimistic as either the sheer volume, or idiots whom treat them as optional and cause back-ups by swerving in dense traffic (or causing collisions), make average speeds close to neighborhood speed levels. Oh and a weekend get-away? Fuhgeddaboutit . . .! Averaging 30 mph makes a stay-cation more attractive.

Only saying IF you do the speed limit...... :smuggrin: 😁

Lets put it this way on a trip I will not be the fastest one on the road nor the slowest, but I sure as heck am not going to get run over..😁

On my big trip out west years ago, my 2500HD loved to cruise at 75 to 80 MPH, maybe more at times if I needed to. Not going say if it ever hit the rev limiter.....:smuggrin:;)

Back