• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

California Smog

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
Just got my Suburban smogged. Took it to a place where I've never taken it and it was the guy's first 6.5 diesel smog. I had my turbo master on with the vacuum pump removed. He was doing his visual inspection for 20 minutes. After 10, I said you're looking for the EGR valve aren't you. He said yes. I said that my model didn't come with it. He passed it. If It wasn't for the air box with the diagram, he may not of passed it but I don't think he was looking for the vacuum pump since I brought up the EGR. After it was all over I told him the F vin doesn't have it and the S does. Ignorance is bliss for me. LOL

Glad they don't do that smog or emission testing in my County or town. Some counties that have a big population have had emissions testing for cars, but diesels are exempt. A few counties have been dropped out of the emission inspection program recently. I think it's 35 to 40 bucks to get an emission inspection in those counties that still do it. I still have to get my vehicles inspected once a year, about 13 bucks a vehicle, it has to be done before I can renew my license plate.

Just makes me wonder how that is a test when its application / enforcement is hardly standard . . .
I know. How it is supposed to work here is they hook up the obd2 and check for active codes, check for soot trap and then visual in the engine compartment for vacuum pump and egr. Totally subjective on the visual especially if they don't know what they are looking at.

On another note I see that you are in Annapolis. I was just there in February with my son. He is headed to the Naval Academy to play football. Going to be making at least 1-2 trips there during the football season.

Just makes me wonder how that is a test when its application / enforcement is hardly standard . . .
Exactly! That's why Nebraska did away with vehicle inspections back in the early 1980's, because you could go down to the neighborhood gas station that does inspections and your buddy since grade school could pass your barely driveable deathtrap; whereas, you could take a newer car into a place you've never been before and they could "find" something wrong that would cause you to fail inspection, like a "bad" ball joint, then charge you to repair it before reinspecting your vehicle. You couldn't drive it to your own mechanic or another approved inspection station because your vehicle was now no longer "roadworthy" - and thus subject to fines, impoundment, etc.

Watch the calendar for the two boat show weekends. Usually the last weekend in September and first in October, but not always. If you are looking for a boat, it will add to the reasons to visit. If not, steer clear as adding a ball game on top of the show makes for a rather crowded town.

Smogging my Burb in CA was a complete PITA. Every two years I had to take off the ATT and put back the GM turbo and vac pump. Eventually I also resorted to swapping in a stock ECM to further clean up the smoke. Had one time where the testing mechanics spent 45 minutes crawling around the engine compartment looking for the non-existent EGR. Their manual was wrong. I googled it up on the phone and showed them that the F vin did not have EGR. My wife finally registered the truck up in Montana. $230 one time registration fee. I could be at risk of someone ratting me out on CA’s cheater program, but we do have a residence in Montana and are in process of establishing residency there, despite my working in CA. Hate f’n CA and its taxes.

Smogging my Burb in CA was a complete PITA. Every two years I had to take off the ATT and put back the GM turbo and vac pump. Eventually I also resorted to swapping in a stock ECM to further clean up the smoke. Had one time where the testing mechanics spent 45 minutes crawling around the engine compartment looking for the non-existent EGR. Their manual was wrong. I googled it up on the phone and showed them that the F vin did not have EGR. My wife finally registered the truck up in Montana. $230 one time registration fee. I could be at risk of someone ratting me out on CA’s cheater program, but we do have a residence in Montana and are in process of establishing residency there, despite my working in CA. Hate f’n CA and its taxes.

I own an auto repair shop and contacted BAR and ARB about the problem with their books stating EGR. Nobody gave a shit. They told me I better not lose my emission sticker showing no EGR. I said I am bringing the wrong info in your system to you attention, so you can fix it. They don't care. Another CA government worker not doing a job they are getting paid for. I still get asked every 2 years where my EGR is.

Exactly! That's why Nebraska did away with vehicle inspections back in the early 1980's, because you could go down to the neighborhood gas station that does inspections and your buddy since grade school could pass your barely driveable deathtrap; whereas, you could take a newer car into a place you've never been before and they could "find" something wrong that would cause you to fail inspection, like a "bad" ball joint, then charge you to repair it before reinspecting your vehicle. You couldn't drive it to your own mechanic or another approved inspection station because your vehicle was now no longer "roadworthy" - and thus subject to fines, impoundment, etc.
Here is CALIUNICORNIA there are no safty checks just emission checks. You can be driving a rust bucket on it last legs but as long as it passes the emissions you are good.

I said that for two reasons 1) In July of '76, the summer between my Freshman and Sophomore years in High School, while on our family's four week long Bicentennial tour vacation up the East Coast in our motorhome, we stopped in Annapolis to tour the Naval Academy. I saw how those Midshipmen had to live for four years of college and thought to myself, "No way".

2) Two and a half years later in the fall of '78, amidst all the offer letters from various colleges and universities across the Nation, I received an Academic Appointment offer from West Point (no Senator's recommendation letter needed), which remembering Annapolis, I declined because that was not how I wanted to spend what should be four years of fun and experiences. So, in March of '79, I signed a delayed enlistment in the Army a few months before graduating High School because the tuition benefits for college were amazingly good. Three years after enlisting, I Commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Army and spent the next sixteen years as an Officer.

So, NO disrespect to your son on his choices to serve our Country and do so by attending the Naval Academy to Commission either as a Navy Ensign or a Marine Corps Second Lieutenant (God help you if he decides to become a Jar Head, LOL!), but for me it will ALWAYS be GO ARMY BEAT NAVY!(and Air Farce, too!).

Sorry for the derail, back to our regularly scheduled thread!

Here is CALIUNICORNIA there are no safty checks just emission checks. You can be driving a rust bucket on it last legs but as long as it passes the emissions you are good.

Cars don't rust in CALIUNICORNIA. Best pickings around in the bone yards.

I said that for two reasons 1) In July of '76, the summer between my Freshman and Sophomore years in High School, while on our family's four week long Bicentennial tour vacation up the East Coast in our motorhome, we stopped in Annapolis to tour the Naval Academy. I saw how those Midshipmen had to live for four years of college and thought to myself, "No way".

2) Two and a half years later in the fall of '78, amidst all the offer letters from various colleges and universities across the Nation, I received an Academic Appointment offer from West Point (no Senator's recommendation letter needed), which remembering Annapolis, I declined because that was not how I wanted to spend what should be four years of fun and experiences. So, in March of '79, I signed a delayed enlistment in the Army a few months before graduating High School because the tuition benefits for college were amazingly good. Three years after enlisting, I Commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Army and spent the next sixteen years as an Officer.

So, NO disrespect to your son on his choices to serve our Country and do so by attending the Naval Academy to Commission either as a Navy Ensign or a Marine Corps Second Lieutenant (God help you if he decides to become a Jar Head, LOL!), but for me it will ALWAYS be GO ARMY BEAT NAVY!(and Air Farce, too!).

Sorry for the derail, back to our regularly scheduled thread!
He was recruited by all 3 and some good pac 12 schools but navy won his heart.

They do the closer to the ocean they are. I have seen some rust buckets that were ca only cars, but you're right most cars won't rust here.
My cousin lived on Oceanfront Walk, Venice CA for over 60 years. The salt air destroyed a car about every 4-5 years. I remember her two year old Celica with the sun roof silicone caulk sealed shut to keep it from leaking because in two years it had started rusting out and leaking - even with weekly car washes. Part of the reason she finally sold the beach house in 2004 and bought a place on a couple of acres and moved to the edge of Yucca Valley, CA.

Back