• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

C3500HD Tow pig

red

stubborn Texan displaced to Utah
Reaction score
Rear tires will finally have some traction off the pavement and the truck has dropped a little over 100rpm now cruising on the highway. 245/70/19.5"s. Have a trip down to Texas next week to drop off some of my stuff at the property, which will require some dirt road driving. Old tires on the right.

20200311_132959.jpg20200311_150105.jpg

red

Reaction score
Those tires should get some grip....👌
They better, the old tires had issues with just a hint of a dirt road or snow haha. My property down in Texas only has dirt road access right now so the tires were a necessity. Bought some cheap offroad recovery boards as well in case I need them there.

red

Reaction score
Made a mistake when mounting the base for the poles, it sits too high for the winch to be able to raise/lower the gin poles on it's own. So have to run a strap from the top of the poles to something solid (used the trailer as a anchor) in order to raise and safely lower the poles.

Once they are up though, it works as expected. Need to make a mount for the front of the bed (has mounts around the hitch rails but no further forward) since under a load you can see the front of the bed move up from the winch. Ended up lifting the bed/chassis/axle fully off the ground no problem.

20200315_152911.jpg

red

Reaction score
You were running steers on the rear instead of drives? No wonder why you had no traction off pavement.
Yea it had steer tires all around when I bought it (different sizes but all steers). The new rear tires provide enough traction for what amount of dirt this truck is expected to see.

Just got back from the first trip to Texas with the move, truck had 2 issues. Cruised at 60mph most of the time, with a combined weight of 24,000 pounds no surprise had to downshift to 4th on many hills, 3rd on a few long hills and the steep ones south of Moab. Temp got up to 210 on the longer hills and twice spiked to about 215 before I downshifted to 3rd. Usually if it couldn't maintain 2400rpm I'd downshift to keep it around 2600rpm.

Considering the truck is stock and the weight, not upset about that. Won't do anything with the gearing until it has some performance upgrades hahaha. Fuel economy on the return trip (empty) was 19-20mpg at 60mph.

The 2 problems with the truck were:
1. Fuel tank developed a rust hole in the bottom of it, patched it with some JB Weld while in Texas and no leaks since but will need replacement. Highway 491 in New Mexico was rough as hell, got the trailer airborne while putting at 50mph. Bet this is when the hole developed.
2. The clutch master/slave quit working and needs replacement again. Been maybe 4 months since it was last replaced so not happy about that. Became inconsistent soon after I left Lehi, Utah and completely failed just before I pulled back into the parking lot in Utah.

20200323_133812.jpg

Husker6.5

135' diagonal 16:9HD, 25KW sound!
Reaction score
US 491 used to be US 666. Rough as hell makes sense! LOL! That's a very scenic drive over from south of Moab through the Chaco Canyon/Mesa Verde/Four Corners region. Strange that the Master/Slave clutch cylinders failed so quickly. Did both fail, or only/which one? Remans? Could it be a pivot/fork/throw out bearing issue that you think is a cylinder issue because of their recent replacement (unless of course you're seeing fluid leakage from one of the cylinders)?

Remans seem to be shit quality in general today for anything, be it brake master cylinders, brake wheel cylinders, calipers, P/S pumps, steering gears, alternators, starters, clutch cylinders, etc. It's come down to either buy it new or rebuild it yourself.

red

Reaction score
US 491 used to be US 666. Rough as hell makes sense! LOL! That's a very scenic drive over from south of Moab through the Chaco Canyon/Mesa Verde/Four Corners region. Strange that the Master/Slave clutch cylinders failed so quickly. Did both fail, or only/which one? Remans? Could it be a pivot/fork/throw out bearing issue that you think is a cylinder issue because of their recent replacement (unless of course you're seeing fluid leakage from one of the cylinders)?

Remans seem to be shit quality in general today for anything, be it brake master cylinders, brake wheel cylinders, calipers, P/S pumps, steering gears, alternators, starters, clutch cylinders, etc. It's come down to either buy it new or rebuild it yourself.
It's the master/slave assembly again, dumped all it's fluid out. During the drive it was fading out, became completely useless after the exhaust had built up some extra heat for awhile. Thinking the exhaust is overheating the slave assembly

Will L.

Reaction score
If not under warranty-Rip that sucker apart and look at the seal. If you can id thats the issue- get to exhaust wrapping and maybe heat shield for the cylinder and line to it.

I feel for ya- I HATE hydraulic clutches. Give me good old steel rod linkage any day. Yeah yeah, works the leg more- but works the wrenches far less.