• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

buying fuel tank for 95 burb

chefmike

Not just a truck... a project.
Reaction score
So I pulled my tank to replace the sock several months and learned that my tank was imploded. At the time, I wanted to work on other issues, so I just rigged the intake, and reassembled the whole thing, and refill before the tank gets low.

Now the tank is leaking from somewhere, so I figured I will replace it since I have to drop it to find the leak anyhow. It seems like it is sloshing out the top and leaking that way, as it does not leak steadily. Maybe I have a clamp loose. No air in the lines though, she is running great. A return line leak?

So where should I get a tank from? Napa is $250 I think. LMC is about the same. Junkyard?

Anyone have thoughts or experience?

thats not what there website says id take the page in or order it online. unless i think the ones i looked up are for a 93 maybe the newer ones are different

i guess the ones that i looked up where for the pickup and the ones for the suburbans are differnt sorry for the missinformation

I think it was a Spectra brand I put in my wife's '94 Suburban a few years ago. I got it through a local shop and it was around $175, I think.

Bad fuel cap imploding the 'old' tank? Possible cause for leak by imploding the top gasket too?

I searched for a poly replacement tank for the '95 for a long time before I came to the conclusion that one doesn't exist. Ended up getting a steel one on line from tankstopans. Can't recall the price, but it was good and the unit was decent quality.

Kicked myself 6 or 9 months later for not doing the pickup assembly at the same time as that went next and the new tank came out to replace the pickup.

I guess the good part is that when you had the tank down the second time, everything was fresh in your mind and the stuff probably wasn't all rusted together. I ended up replacing the lines from the tank to the joint in front of the rear axle on hers. I coated the bash plate with POR-15, too, where it had rust.

I have gone rubber on supply and return almost up to the firewall, painful at almost $10/foot for diesel compatible hose. I never did put the skid plate back on. The older the Tahoe gets, the more pieces of it end up in boxes in the garage instead of on the truck. It truly is an an experiment in entropy....;)

One thing to consider; I bought a Spectra from Rock Auto for around $180 delivered, iirc. It is a beautifull quality piece with one bitch. It doesn't have the fuel pickup baffle that the factory one had. When I get down around 5 gallons and corner or stop hard I do get a little air in the fuel manager. Food for thought.

The tank I have on it now does not have the baffle either. I ordered the $165 one from ebay. I have a new sender to go in it from when I dropped it the first time and discovered it was imploded. I will just not run it under 1/4 tank.

My biggest curiosity is where it is leaking. I guess I will find out in a week.

Back