• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bully dog tuner questions

SS FORCE

Reaction score
Hi all, first time posting on the duramax side of the forum. I bought my truck just over a month ago and I love it. I do however have one question

I drove in my buddies truck that is identical to mine in every add on apart from he is running efi live and I have the power pup that came with the truck. His truck seems to be a lot more responsive than mine. He touches the throttle and gets an instant response from the motor where as if I try to get into mine it likes to hesitate and think about what I'm asking it to do. My buddy and I have wracked it up to being the bully dog tune and not the truck. Is the bully dog really that bad of a tune on our rigs? If I am cruising anywhere from 45-60 and put my foot to the floor I have around a 2-3 second delay before the truck realizes I asked it to move.

I already have plans to go with EFI Live. my fathers cousin owns Starlight diesel, the local in state tune shop, so I can get a good deal on the tune from him. I just want to make sure its not something else on the rig.

Well there are some obvious things other than your tune that can effect throttle response. First is the Fuel filter and followed by the FPR having a weak spring (that can be shimmed) and kinked fuel lines near the transmission followed by deteriorated fuel hoses under the hood. Have you seen a P087 (low rail pressure) code? IDK anything about the Bullydog unit but I have a Predator that I can select a different tune if I want. I do recommend EFI in any case and if I had it to do over I would go that way.
Did you sell the red truck?!:eek:

Well there are some obvious things other than your tune that can effect throttle response. First is the Fuel filter and followed by the FPR having a weak spring (that can be shimmed) and kinked fuel lines near the transmission followed by deteriorated fuel hoses under the hood. Have you seen a P087 (low rail pressure) code? IDK anything about the Bullydog unit but I have a Predator that I can select a different tune if I want. I do recommend EFI in any case and if I had it to do over I would go that way.
Did you sell the red truck?!:eek:

Sadly yes BIGREDD is gone. :( I had been kicking around the idea of a DMAX swap in but after looking at the price of a wrecked truck and the work/time/money involved in the swap I started looking around at other DMAX's. I found the one I own now listed at a dealer a mile away from work. Called them up and went to look at it. Took it home the following day. Selling point was the mileage at only 66k and the immaculate condition. I had to sell the old truck to pay off some dept and and start saving for a house. Everyone I work with comes to me to tell me they see my old truck driving around and it kinda breaks my heart haha. They guy who bought it actually lives just down the street from me and I told him if I see it being abused in the slightest I would find him and kick his ass.

As far as the fuel filter replacement I am not sure when it was last done. The truck reads 48% on fuel filter, I plugged in the bully dog and it didn't pull up any codes. I hate the way this programmer works. Its slow, doesn't allow for on the fly tune changes either. Seems like something that was rushed when put together. I will have to check the fuel lines and see what they look like. Once the truck decides it wants to run it pulls as I would expect just not sure of the lag.

Plans for the rig include the following

EGR delete
Fuel shim
LP
Edge CTS
EFI Live
Transgo JR
PCV reroute

It already has an AFE intake and 4'' MBRP exhaust. Definitely a lot more expensive to play with these trucks that the old 6.5's

Sadly yes BIGREDD is gone. Should have sold it to Paul
They guy who bought it actually lives just down the street from me and I told him if I see it being abused in the slightest I would find him and kick his ass.
When is he gonna join TTS?

As far as the fuel filter replacement I am not sure when it was last done. The truck reads 48% on fuel filter, I plugged in the bully dog and it didn't pull up any codes. I hate the way this programmer works. Its slow, doesn't allow for on the fly tune changes either. Seems like something that was rushed when put together. I will have to check the fuel lines and see what they look like. Once the truck decides it wants to run it pulls as I would expect just not sure of the lag.

EGR delete
Fuel shim
LP
Edge CTS
EFI Live
Transgo JR
PCV reroute

It already has an AFE intake and 4'' MBRP exhaust. Definitely a lot more expensive to play with these trucks that the old 6.5's
I would recommend just a blocker plate and tune out with EFI. If the feds ever come back and say you can't sell without OEM emissions stuff (that day is approaching) it's gonna be a PITA to re-install. It'll LOOK OEM.

And congrats on the new truck. I'm confident you'll make this one just as outstanding as Big Red was.
We'll need a thread with pics you know...

I would recommend just a blocker plate and tune out with EFI. If the feds ever come back and say you can't sell without OEM emissions stuff (that day is approaching) it's gonna be a PITA to re-install. It'll LOOK OEM.

And congrats on the new truck. I'm confident you'll make this one just as outstanding as Big Red was.
We'll need a thread with pics you know...

Thank you. I will be posting pics here shortly of the new purchase. I peeled all the chrome and stickers off of the truck and a few spots pulled paint :banghead:. Just got it back last Friday all touched up. Hopefully I get it all detailed in the next week or two. I plan on go fast goodies in the near future and some custom ladder bars for the new truck too. I am trying to start up a business here in the coming months so money might be a little tight but if it all works out well It will mean being my own boss and I can't wait for that. And I need a clean one of kind truck to showcase my new business. Wonder where I can find one of those :D

I missed your edit about selling it to Paul haha. He was the first person I offered it to. But he didn't want the regular cab. I couldn't think of a better person to sell it to though.

I gave the buyer all the forum info so I am expecting him to chime in at any time

Sadly yes BIGREDD is gone. :( I had been kicking around the idea of a DMAX swap in but after looking at the price of a wrecked truck and the work/time/money involved in the swap I started looking around at other DMAX's. I found the one I own now listed at a dealer a mile away from work. Called them up and went to look at it. Took it home the following day. Selling point was the mileage at only 66k and the immaculate condition. I had to sell the old truck to pay off some dept and and start saving for a house. Everyone I work with comes to me to tell me they see my old truck driving around and it kinda breaks my heart haha. They guy who bought it actually lives just down the street from me and I told him if I see it being abused in the slightest I would find him and kick his ass.

EGR delete
Fuel shim
LP
Edge CTS
EFI Live
Transgo JR
PCV reroute

1. blocker plate, don't delete it unless your prepared to replace the passenger side up pipe. To many problems with the up pipes cracking with delete kits.
2. I personnally see no need for a fuel shim on a stock trans truck. If your going to push it over 500HP with a max effort high pulse width tune, sure. But a stock 6 speed isn't going to be loving life with much more than a 2150-2200 pulse width, and theres no need to shim one for that IMHO.
3. a lift pump is ALWAYS a good idea. I like my KENNEDY pump myself.
4.Don't spend the money on a CTS if your doing it to swith your tunes. The CTS will not switch tunes on 06+ trucks.
5.The bullydog is JUNK! I logged a truck running a power pup, and lets say it was crappy to say the least. It was 06 LLY truck, and after I flashed it to an actual LBZ he said it was faster than his power pup. EFILIVE can be the best, but it can also be the worst, so you have to be selective who you get your tunes from.
6.the transgo JR and a swap to TRANSYND fluid with a new internal filter is good insurance to help your ALLISON live, but don't think doing it will make it hold alot more power as it won't. It will help with making it shift quicker and cripser, but the holding improvements is minimal with just a shift kit.
7.A PCV reroute aint gonna hurt either. Just keep in mind though it will dribble some oil out of the PCV, so route it someplace where you don't mind some oil getting.
8.Sorry about your luck of it having an AFE intake. The 06+ factory intake is quite good actually, better than most aftermarket units in flow and filtering.

I MAY have posted some stuff on the PCV reroute in DIY but if not, when you get to it I can shoot some pics for you. I got the kit from Tony B at Dirty Hooker Diesel. Both hoses are behind the RF tire

Sounds like I will go with the blocker plate then. I plan on using the CTS to monitor everything, And will get the add on EGT gauge. I want to run the EFI Live with the DPS-5 switch. My buddy is boasting 21mpg out of his rig with this setup.

I knew there wasn't much good about the bully dog. Nothing about it seems smooth on the engine, not to mention lag.

My old truck had the PCV just dumping to the ground so a little oil doesn't bother my none.

BTFarm I will look and see if I can dig up your post. If not expect a PM for the pictures. Now that I have the new truck my father wants to follow suit with everything I do it on his 05. He's been to afraid to touch anything and claims "I don't know about these new engines", so I have double the work cut out for me.

I haven't heard much about the AFE intake system, I know stock would flow plenty for my truck. What, if anything, is wrong with the AFE intake?

Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate it.

Sounds like I will go with the blocker plate then. I plan on using the CTS to monitor everything, And will get the add on EGT gauge. I want to run the EFI Live with the DPS-5 switch. My buddy is boasting 21mpg out of his rig with this setup.

I knew there wasn't much good about the bully dog. Nothing about it seems smooth on the engine, not to mention lag.

My old truck had the PCV just dumping to the ground so a little oil doesn't bother my none.

BTFarm I will look and see if I can dig up your post. If not expect a PM for the pictures. Now that I have the new truck my father wants to follow suit with everything I do it on his 05. He's been to afraid to touch anything and claims "I don't know about these new engines", so I have double the work cut out for me.

I haven't heard much about the AFE intake system, I know stock would flow plenty for my truck. What, if anything, is wrong with the AFE intake?

Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate it.
I believe the insight monitor is cheaper than the CTS is, and will do most of the same stuff except switching the DSP5 which your can't do anyways. 21MPG is very obtainable as I've sent out an econ tune to a couple of people that are getting 21-22(one of which is a DURABURB getting 21 at 70). The AFE isn't really bad, but isn't needed. The stock LBZ filter setup is good for 500HP as GM got it right with the 06+ intake setup. It will outlast and outfilter most any aftermarket filter setup can. It's always a trade off with aftermarket filters for the most part. If you want more flow, then filtering normally suffers. The stock 06+ intakes are just a good filter. As to the 05, it is a different can of worms entirely. The engine and trans mission from 05 to 06 changed almost completely. About the only things that stayed the same was they are both DURAMAX/ALLISON combos, the engine block, I think the timing and adapter covers, and maybe the oil pump. Other than that they are entirely different animals. Best to start another thread for the LLY as they have a MUCH longer list of upgrades to bring them up to par with a stock LBZ. Also let him know his stock 5 speed will NOT take anywhere near as much power as your stock 6 speed can. I tuned one for a guy and he got mad because a tuned LMM out ran him. I told him I would turn it up, but I guranteed him his trans would go before he could even begin to keep up with an LMM tuned with just a tune VS tune trucks.

Back