• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Brief thread about extracting a stuck O2 sensor and extensions

Reaction score
Last week I drove 'BBB' to the local shop that I'm friends with the owner with. He put his Chevy "expert" on it to remove that O2 sensor from the pipe behind the Cat. He said he couldn't do it. I went down to the now little Sears store and got a 22mm combination wrench and with my 5 lb. cross pein hammer just a couple of smacks and it broke loose. Traces of rust fell that tells me the last guy to do this service failed to use Never seize on the threads~moron.
Following that I had to wait for the following week for O2 pigtail extensions I'd purchased on EBay, they cam in varying lengths but I went with the 18" as if they were too long I could just pretzel up the tubing.

Once I broke that O2 sensor loose I left it snug until those extensions cam in. Loosening the dingus bit by bit taking care not to gall the threads with each quarter turn I'd spray it with PB Blaster (penetrating oil) then work the sensor back and forth.

23148d1510068197-motor-timing-180-out-wp_20171106_17_15_57_pro.jpg

After extraction I cleaned up the mess with Lectra Motive electrical parts cleaner.

Despite Bosch using a dab of Nerver Seize on the threads of the new sensor I thought it prudent to add to it so I went back over to Gary's Automotive and from their REAL expert I borrowed a dap of copper Never Seize and lightly coated the entire length of the threads taking care not to get any on or near the sensor head. Threaded in just fine and with the lead extenstion gives me much more room to see what I'm doing if I ever have to get into this again.
One tip inparticular, while I jacked up (with jackstands in place) the passenger side, I could more easily access the weather proof connector if I went under the truck feet first so my wrists could bend around the Cat to get at that connector.

Hammer on wrench aka farmer john impact works well for the backyard guy only dealing with 1 or 2 a year.

We dont have rusting problems here in Southern Nevada. But I dont know a single pro mechanic (technician as some prefer) that doesn’t own the airhammer drive tool for O2 sensors. That “expert” needs to invest in his profession. Does he own a screwdriver or is he still using his moms butter knife?

Quick pic of google search for those that never seen them. Cheapy sets are ok, any pro should have Mac, Snapon, etc.
1D908CBC-0EB0-423C-97DA-EB2C15DC10B4.png

Hammer on wrench aka farmer john impact works well for the backyard guy only dealing with 1 or 2 a year.

We dont have rusting problems here in Southern Nevada. But I dont know a single pro mechanic (technician as some prefer) that doesn’t own the airhammer drive tool for O2 sensors. That “expert” needs to invest in his profession. Does he own a screwdriver or is he still using his moms butter knife?

Quick pic of google search for those that never seen them. Cheapy sets are ok, any pro should have Mac, Snapon, etc.
View attachment 51224
Never seen nor heard of one of those before.
Thanks for posting that Will.

Yeah definitely! Ive seen more than one broken off or the threads ruined,

The term farmer john is one of appreciation for knowing how to get by, yet still get it done right. Farmer that cant do that goes broke and hungry quick.

It just surprised me that a guy that will work as an expert wont have tools that most mechanics get buy year #2 or 3 in a shop. A good lesson in don't sell yourself short compared to "experts" out there.

It is proabably a symptom nationwide, but I've learned around these parts that when a local shop does get someone that is sharp and sends 'em off to ASE school they last for just a few years before they head up to Portland or another major city to go where the money is.

Back