• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Brake upgrade for my 98 K3500

This is not definitive, but searching Rockauto I've come to the conclusion that parts will interchange between the 2500 and 2500HD. And like Leroy said, it must be for a 4X4.

To really know for sure go to a wrecking yard and have them check their interchange list.

Don

2 wheel drive uses the same spindle, but a different wheel bearing. If your looking in a bone yard just get the 4x4 spindle then you won't have to buy the bearing.

Well you're wrong. All HD 8 lug spindles (silverado) are the same. The wheel bearing is the only difference.
if your thinking 1/2 ton or 6 lug then you would be right.

Good catch, it is the 6 lug I was thinking of. Thats what I saw when I converted the 8 lug 2wd Burban to 6 lug big brakes.

Well you're wrong. All HD 8 lug spindles (silverado) are the same. The wheel bearing is the only difference.
if your thinking 1/2 ton or 6 lug then you would be right.

Unless you get a replacement bearing as all bearings made since 08 for the GMT-800 from GM anyways are now the same for both 2 or 4 wheel drive. In late 07 GM went to 1 bearing to reduce costs, and superceded all older trucks to the new bearing.

Unless you get a replacement bearing as all bearings made since 08 for the GMT-800 from GM anyways are now the same for both 2 or 4 wheel drive. In late 07 GM went to 1 bearing to reduce costs, and superceded all older trucks to the new bearing.

So now the 2 wheel drive bearing has a hole for the axle shaft?

Well, while I was at the Ecology pick a part boneyard on Tuesday, they handed me their Black Friday flyer on the way out. 50% off all parts on Black Friday. Woohooo. Backside of flyer is in Spanish. I have yet to find a newer model 4 wd truck at their local Santa Fe Springs yard, but there's the Rialto and Adelanto yards in San Bernadino. Adelanto is big and gets less traffic because it's out in the desert. Never thought I would get this excited over Black Friday. I'm on a mission for late model 4wd Spindles and Calipers and old model tie rod ends.

BTW finished installation of new updated proportioning valve AND new larger rear brake cylinders from the K3500 dually. Definitely an improvement in braking. That said, hard to compare as my ABS has decided to start working again, so I can't lock up the wheels. ABS has worked since last trip down from Big Bear Lake on Sunday and the light has not come on for 20 some starts. I did have the ABS pump completely off and unplugged to remove the old proportioning valve (stripped a torx bolt and had to grind that one off). All that said, I still intend to go forward with the Big Brake mod from the later trucks. The benefits are too good to ignore. Bigger, longer lasting and you get the bearing mounted under the rotor vs the old style. I also plan to replace the Pitman Arm, Idler Arm & Bracket and adjust the steering box while doing this project.

So now the 2 wheel drive bearing has a hole for the axle shaft?

Yes, all new wheel bearings from GM anyways are the same now. As far as I know the only difference between a 2 and 4 wheel drive before 08 was the wheel bearings, and after mid year 08 they were all the same. 2 wheel drive trucks even get the mounts and stuff now for the front diff IIRC. not sure if the 07.5+ brakes would work on a GMT-400 as they are even larger than the 01-06.

The aftermarket probably still makes 2 different ones, but GM issued a bulletin in 09 saying replacements fro mthem will now all be the same and it also listed how to identify the differences between each one.

Another question on this mod: Is there a difference on the spindles/knuckles between the 4wd 2500 and 4wd 2500 HD? If not, then what is the difference between HD and non-HD?

I have been unable to find the spindles/knuckles at Pick a Part boneyards, but I can find them at Truck Dismantling Yards. Just trying to price up this modification.

I do not know what, if any, difference there is. I got my spindle off a DMax truck.

My guess would be that the HD models have a heavier GVW, but that is purely conjecture.

Don

I do not know what, if any, difference there is. I got my spindle off a DMax truck.

My guess would be that the HD models have a heavier GVW, but that is purely conjecture.

Don

I think the spindles are the same, but the HD calipers are bigger. Looking for someone to confirm this.

Hello everyone newbie here, I see it's been a while since anyone has posted about this mod. I'm looking to do this to my 99 classic k3500 dually which I've already swapped out my rear for an 02 disk brake version. I'm wondering if anyone has been happy with the swap over the years and anything they would do differently. I already have stock hydro, did anyone actually change the mc to Dmax? I'm starting to get parts together for it, I'm actually thinking of using cognito steering upgrade for tie rod ends which comes with 02 center link but I'm not sure that will work.

The gmt-800 madter won't work with the older gmt-400 hydroboost. You can make a p30 madter cylinder work, hut to run the gmt-800 master would require also swapping in thegmt-800 hydro boost, swapping the 400 base plate from yours to it, and making a custom pushrod for it.

Back