• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Brake light switch bushing

mjmmjm

Reaction score
Hi, all. I recently replaced my hydroboost and am wondering if I lost a bushing that I thought goes over the pedal mounting post and through the switch. I could have sworn there was a bushing there when I replaced the switch awhile ago. Anyway, the switch feels loose on the pedal post, and I can't shift out of park without either moving the lever in the switch with a screwdriver or unplugging the interlock. Is there supposed to be a bushing there? I can't find anything on a parts diagram. Thanks.

@mjmmjm . Sounds like when you push the pedal it's not making enough contact to push it in, I've only had mine off once and it was a long time ago, but if I remember right the retaining clip that holds it in place to the pedal slides in to the brake light switch, which would take up the extra space... Please don't quote me on that I'm going to tag a couple other guys so they'll see this post, they will be able to give you a more definite answer.
@Will L. @ak diesel driver @dbrannon79 @jrsavoie can one of y'all answer this better? I'm not near my truck so can't go look.

I don't recall seeing any bushing in there. iirc the brake switch and the rod for the booster slides on together onto the peg of the brake pedal then a flat washer and the clip that's hell to get off in that confined space!

as for your shifter interlock, are your brake lights working along with the cruise release? I would need to look at a diagram to see what side of the switch the interlock works off from. others will chime in soon, but it's possible you have a bad switch. being the brake lights might work just fine but the other side of the switch isn't. unless yours is the variety that has another switch under there on the pedal controlling the interlock.

look for a type of a push button style switch mounted further up on the pedal, you might have just knocked the connector loose like on some vehicles I have seen, the switch is adjustable with a plastic threaded jam nut that is known to strip out if touched.

I will have to look under my dash to see if mine has one.

And Welcome to TheTruckStop @mjmmjm, glad to have you join! Lots of great down to earth guys here with a wealth of knowledge to learn from. Feel free to join in on the fun, we all talk about everything under the sun here 😜

Yes I forgot to welcome you to TTS... you have entered the MAD HOUSE..😂😂
Great bunch of guys on here, tons of knowledge... and we talk about a lot other than our trucks..

did some googling on the innerwebs. it seems the interlock is tied directly to the brake light switch where it receives power through the same fuse as the tail lights. make sure a wire didn't get pulled or broken from the connector on the switch. that is if your brake lights are working. If not, check fuses first, then aim the parts cannon at a new switch. chances are just disturbing the switch could have fubar'd it. it's also way too easy to break a wire in there as tight and a real PIA to work in that area with the switch.

@mjmmjm . Sounds like when you push the pedal it's not making enough contact to push it in, I've only had mine off once and it was a long time ago, but if I remember right the retaining clip that holds it in place to the pedal slides in to the brake light switch, which would take up the extra space... Please don't quote me on that I'm going to tag a couple other guys so they'll see this post, they will be able to give you a more definite answer.
@Will L. @ak diesel driver @dbrannon79 @jrsavoie can one of y'all answer this better? I'm not near my truck so can't go look.
It's been a very long time since I had to mess with a brake switch. I remember nothing

did some googling on the innerwebs. it seems the interlock is tied directly to the brake light switch where it receives power through the same fuse as the tail lights. make sure a wire didn't get pulled or broken from the connector on the switch. that is if your brake lights are working. If not, check fuses first, then aim the parts cannon at a new switch. chances are just disturbing the switch could have fubar'd it. it's also way too easy to break a wire in there as tight and a real PIA to work in that area with the switch.
I've only had to replace one switch that I remember. All of my other issues came from getting it misaligned

iirc the switch has some sort of clip that latches to the rod on the booster to keep it in the right place. I have seen others that have some sort of alignment to them.
I don't remember what I had. It seemed like the issue was at the brake pedal. I had to make something a couple times. Because it wasn't attached to the brake pedal or it wasn't right

Back