• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Brake controller light illuminates when driving over bumps

Jorge6.5

Reaction score
I just installed my brake controller in my truck. It used to be in my other truck. After installing wires and making sure it was hooked up right, the brake controller light will illuminate when driving over bumps. Makes no sense to me, the wiring is correct.

Thanks

Most brake controllers use the brake light switch to activate the controller, usually in conjunction with a pendulum , etc. If it's set real tight (not having to move the brake pedal far to activate the lights) it will turn on the brake lights and controller when you hit bumps. Mine will kick out the cruise control if I hit a big bump

I have only had 4-5 types of brake controllers through the years. All of them would only light up with a trailer attached. Since you used it on a different truck, did it always light even without a trailer hooked up? If not something is shorting intermittently from the bump.

If it always lit up without trailer then its just like AK said, brake switch on pedal is applying from the brakes. People behind you are going "why is that guy hitting his brakes for that little bump?"

It's a drawtite activator. Worked great in my other truck the light always lit up when apply the brake pedal with or without a trailer hooked up, it's connected to the brake pedal switch

I guess it could be a bad controller, it's been moved and bounced around lots since I took it off my other truck. I've had it 6 years and I have no idea how long it was on my other truck before I bought it

Guess I'll check a few more things before I condemn the controller

Have someone drive behind you and talk via cell phones. If the brake lights are coming on with the bump then it is the switch. If no brake lights then controller or wiring to the controller.

Every brake controller I have ever had did nothing till a trailer with brakes was connected to the truck.

I've got an old Tekonsha controller that has a round red light that illuminates when the brake lights on the truck come on. It's intended to work that way, it has no digital readout for the braking bias like the newer one in my DMax does. The only indication that it is operational is when that red light turns on. If yours is coming on when you hit a big enough bump, I would do what Will said. Have someone follow you and tell you if the brake lights are flashing on momentarily when you hit a bump. If so, there's probably nothing wrong with your brake controller. It's the brake light switch.

You can try to see if brake lights come on or flicker but it might not be enough current and for long enough to heat the filaments.

If the controller just comes on for a little while and goes off then it might be just initialization from the pedal sending a signal from a bump. Kind of a digital signal instead of real current.

Might try to rig up a small bungee cord to hold the pedal tight up and see if it does it.

Back