• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bought a '73 Goat D100

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Reaction score
I originally bought it for my BIL who just turned 16 in exchange for a horse he wanted to sell (I had had the horse 2yrs already lol). I told him to pick the truck and I would either pay 1500 (asking price of the horse) for a truck of his choice or he could pick on 3500 and down and I would let him work it off this summer. He found the old goat and we picked it up, so far it is in the process of a PS Pump and Alt, still have bout 3/8 turn of play in the steering box but it steers easier lol.

Now he is waivering on whether or not he wants to keep it (teenagers...). So I might end up with a project truck (like I need another lol)

I'll post pics but it is straight, mostly rust free, one owner, 5.9 gussler, auto tranny, and everything seems to work.

Anyone have experience with the steering slop on these older rigs?

Steering slop begins at the steering wheel. Check everything. After a new front on Patch we found the rag joint at the steering box was the source of 60% of the slop. Later we found the new aftermarket intermediate steering shaft was coming loose at the end of the column.

So he is working off the 'black hole' of parts too?

He abandoned the truck at his Grandma's house last fall. It runs good when its running but it keeps dying. He left me high and dry on 3 jobs in under 2 weeks so he is no longer employed.

The front end is pretty solid, jack it up and there is no play between the tires, all the play is in the gear box and rag joint. Just don't know much about these old steering boxes.

Sorry to hear that. Some boys (actually most) mature much slower. My nephew is waffling through maturity, stupidity, work ethic, direction etc. He is a senior in high school and has no clue about hard work, commitment, life long effects of actions/decisions, real money etc. A classic bad case of senioritis.

One of my favorite comedic comments is... When I was 19? I thought my dad was the slowest dumbest guy around. When I turned 25 I was amazed at how much he had learned in 6 years.

No hope for him. Anyone who abandons a semi running truck project needs a real board of education applied. Hope he has a good pair of shoes. He turned down a real gift to work off a truck.

Start with a new rag joint and see how bad the steering box is after that.

I'll see what happens to it in the next few months. He worked enough to pay it off so I did sign it over to him but he always had one of my other trucks to get to work and still didnt show up to work repeatedly.

Still have no idea why it dies randomly. New carb had someone smarter than me tune it and it has all the cap rotor plugs and wires replaced. New alt. New battery and cables. New electronic fuel pump. I'm out of ideas on that side.

Plugged fuel filter? I had an 81 305 that would stall when the fuel filter on the carb plugged.

Can you be more descriptive on "randomly dies"?

Dies under load, or at idle? Dies when cold but not normal ect temp? Restarts instantly or you have to crank it a while? Does the alt & oil light come on instantly when it dies?

Its died cruising, idling, full throttle, but usually just doesn't make it point A to B.

Will not restart, not flooded. I drove it for an hour one day to get some lumber, it ran great until I was 5 miles from home and died.

Next day it went 2 miles and quit.

To be honest I doubt any of the engine performance is relevant now as last time I loaned him tools was to change the water pump and he just filled it with water (the 3 gallon of antifreeze I bought are on my back porch still) that was in august.

Remember my favorite harbor freight gauge?
http://m.harborfreight.com/fuel-pump-and-vacuum-tester-62637.html

Get that on the fuel line just before the carb. Record you happenings at idle, and under load.

Then hook it up to intake manifold vacuum and record what it does idle and under load. What do you get there?

Take a jumper wire coming from positive feed of coil, run it in the cab and hook up to a 12v light bulb àpyou can see while driving, grounding the other side. What does that do what when the engine dies?

If you can't get it to restart hit it with some starting fluid straight down the carb, does that fire it off?

Your loosing spark or fuel. Have to determine which, then go from there.

Does the truck have points still? If so was the condenser replaced with the cap, wires etc? A faulty ballast resistor can cause grief as well. If the truck is equipped with a tachometer unhook it. A faulty tach can cause abnormal ignition issues. This happened to my monte carlo. Car would run 20 minutes then die, sit for 15 minutes before restarting and then run for and hour without issue. It didn't happen all the time though.

Does the truck have points still? If so was the condenser replaced with the cap, wires etc? A faulty ballast resistor can cause grief as well. If the truck is equipped with a tachometer unhook it. A faulty tach can cause abnormal ignition issues. This happened to my monte carlo. Car would run 20 minutes then die, sit for 15 minutes before restarting and then run for and hour without issue. It didn't happen all the time though.
Welcome and good first post.

Back