• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bosch Purolator oil filter failure.

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
If you have any Purolator oil filters including brands they make NOW is a good time to remove it from your engine for something else. You can imagine my surprise when I cut this Bosch oil filter open and a pleat was torn on both ends. No I didn't break it, Link: It's a common EPIC Fu#k up for the brand and the companies have their heads buried in the sand. I ran it because the M1 filter wasn't in stock and it's NOT a FRAM. Less than 10K miles on oil changed by the GM oil light and I am not happy with the condition of the Mobile1 oil. 2008 5.3L V8.

Dangers of buying some shoddy product and slapping your name on it. And that be some internet posting of EPIC fail photos with your company name all over it.Failure isn't an option?!

bosch1.jpg
bosch2.jpg
bosch3.jpg
bosch4.jpg
bosch5.jpg

Probably Mike. But its worth a shot anyway. It is hard to tell by the photo, but is the filter media cardboard, celulose, or something stronger like wire backed synthetic?

Last edited:
Years back I had a PUROLATOR filter collapse in a race engine. It was a friday night late, and I wanted to go racing, so I slapped one on my engine. The engine started losing oil pressure anytime I hit the throttle. Came home, swapped the filter out, and instant oil pressure again. Haven't run one since then. I now run WIX from NAPA or CARQUEST(but who knows how long CARQUEST will stay WIX since ADVANCE bought them).

Can't say I've ever had a Purolator filter on anything. I was, however, sold on Fram for many years so same situation.

I am not sure what the industry has done for real world testing and feedback in the past but with the internet it provides a great resource for individuals to share their failures. Pretty clear feed back if the company wants to pay attention.

The spread sheet on BITOG showed 2009 mfg year as the most common failures. Seems since it appears to be the pleat beside the seam that fails I wonder if that is where they hold it when cutting or other process and a stress concentrator. Pretty clear trend if it does correlate to a process.

The internet is great for informing enthusiast (thanks for sharing by the way) whom will change brands. But in the % of market share I doubt it makes much difference. Probably much more affected by sales and marketing gimmicks.

I hope companies are paying attention to forums as they have lead to class action lawsuits and will in the future probably increase. I need to get me one of those filter cutters and check mine.

By the way I am not a fan of license mfg products or name brand peddling for the sake of the brand name.

Anyone know if Bosch owns Purolator now? Or was that just name brand peddling. I think most filter manufacturers outsource some filters and don't make each and every size every time. Which I dislike.

Mine was made 7/2013 - plenty of time for a fix and a recall of the substandard product to have happened as it was likely min 1 year old on the shelf. This is where they could have solved the problem with commitment to customers. My parts supplier commercial side is gonna have a bad day... "What exactly is covered in the 1 year warranty?"

Cost today is $7.49 - an upscale filter price.
The antidrainback valve is silicone and the bypass valve is a work of art. The media is brittle (and is said to become brittle with age online). My biggest concern is the 'sludge' looking stuff that it needed to filter. For the application there is a longer filter that will fit I need to switch to.

Back