• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

BOOM!

Oil samples could have shown coolant in the oil - the faster way to kill a diesel engine than 'clunker bomb' ever could.

If you didn't blow it up, well, there was some power left you could have gotten out of it.

Sounds like it drained the oil by itself...

The bearings will show if coolant in the oil was the cause or overpower...

You mean there's TWO of you!!!?:eek:

:hihi:
scary thought huh?
Oil samples could have shown coolant in the oil - the faster way to kill a diesel engine than 'clunker bomb' ever could.

If you didn't blow it up, well, there was some power left you could have gotten out of it.

Sounds like it drained the oil by itself...

The bearings will show if coolant in the oil was the cause or overpower...
I will take a good look at the bearings.

With all the mods/changes done to this car, I am just happy it lived long enough to allow me to do all that. I learned alot. I'm gonna be much more prepared when dialing in the new engine.

what are your plans for the new engine?

599 based, low comp marine pistons, hand ported heads, port matching intake runner/exh manifolds, Scat crank, recon rods, Delta Cam(my specs), a bit stronger valve spring set, arp studs. I used to have Delta Cam and arpstuds but I sold them to convert the Camaro to a 6speed manual trans. Well that idea flew out the same hole as my #8 connecting rod!

I am uploading pics of the first part of the teardown as I type......

the start....
DSC03889.jpg

DSC03893.jpg

starter hanging by the wires...
DSC03890.jpg

something I've never shown a pics of, very random...
DSC03892.jpg

the cockpit....
DSC03897.jpg

before...
DSC03898.jpg

after....
DSC03902.jpg

starter fell easily to the ground...
DSC03906.jpg

after closer inspection, the #8 connecting rod let go and shot out the side of the oil pan directly into the starter, breaking the aluminum case of the starter...
DSC03908.jpg

one more from a different angle....
DSC03907.jpg

As you can tell I am a big fan of zipties, The "right stuff" gasket maker, and loctite (when used in the proper application for the PC people)

so far I have all the fluid passages disconnected, wiring harness, turbo system, radiator, oil drained. As much as I had time for today. I am hoping work is slow so I can take the day off to finish. To bad my lift is occupied, so this engine/trans and cradle will come out the bottom by lifting the car off of the assembly. Don't mind doing things the hard way. I think you will all find that process visually interesting....

You did one hell of a job on that car man. I can't wait to see the photos of the mangled internals.

Ouch. Subscribing to this thread. You got alot of talent man. I'm sure you'll enjoy the process making her faster. On a side note, I did the same thing on my 68 firebird years ago. It felt like that was my moment in time that made me an official car guy.

Good one!

You know I'm allowed to laugh at this kind of thing. I broke mine too, but I stopped running it when it started making noise, and lots of blow-by. My guess broke piston, eh.

The only thing that fits this scenario is loud and expensive noises!

Mods: I REALLY HATE THIS NEW FORUM SOFTWARE!!!

Ouch. Subscribing to this thread. You got alot of talent man. I'm sure you'll enjoy the process making her faster. On a side note, I did the same thing on my 68 firebird years ago. It felt like that was my moment in time that made me an official car guy.

I don't think you truly become a car guy until you have rendered the internal components external.

If the reciprocating assembly of your engine will now fit in a 5-gallon bucket....... you are there.

Well, -no matter what opinions and accusations are flying around this thread, I have HUGE respect for what you're doing, -and do you want to know WHY??? -Because you are sharing the results and information, -you are acquiring with other fellow sixfivers. You see, I have this redneck friend of mine named Bo, -I may have made references to him in the past. At any rate, -he is a lot like you. He has taken the 6.5 where few have ventured to even try. At first I was almost offended by his pile of broken 6.5 stuff, -but he was a wealth of valuable information about the 6.5, -amazing in fact.

He had pictures, stories, and videos about some of the 6.2 and 6.5 builds and stories he had accomplished, -and some succeeded, -others failed. He had buildsheets with clearances and dimensions on each build, -the guy was for real.

I have built a lot of engines, and some have definitely let go, -it teaches you big respect in a hurry, -doesn't it? It sure had that effect on me.

Keep doing what you're doing..-but please DO keep us updated, -some of us die-hard gearheads just can't resist the story. :thumbsup:

Oh maybe I was misunderstood.
I was merely stating that if you can look at a bucket full of engine carnage and say OOPS! Or Gentlemen we can rebuild him, (cue the 6 million $ man theme song) make him better, faster, stronger.

You have escalated to a true gear head :D

Oh maybe I was misunderstood.
I was merely stating that if you can look at a bucket full of engine carnage and say OOPS! Or Gentlemen we can rebuild him, (cue the 6 million $ man theme song) make him better, faster, stronger.

You have escalated to a true gear head :D

Oh no, I was totally agreeing. I have a "wall of shame" -so to speak, -it is the top of my tool box. I have broken rods, pistons with rings stacked on top of themselves in the same groove, a broken wrist pin, a cam that came out of an engine in 5 pieces, -but no broken cranks though, -I have escaped the crank demons so far.

I'm running on a cracked bottom-end with my 599 build (with studs). Maybe that's where my coolant is going. :)

In the past, I have done all the right things and still lost the battle, -and other times, rolled the dice on stuff I swore wouldn't work, -and been proven completely wrong.

Fate really is sealed I guess, -and you are right about picking up the pieces and moving on, -my hat is off to this guy.

Don't forget the rag pieces :) we won't

Oh buddy, -I will never forget that night, -talk about blatant stupidity on my part. I should be locked up and put behind bars for ruining a perfectly good 506 block!! At least if it would have broke when I was running the snot out of it, -that would have been a little different. One thing is for certain though, -it made me hate the DS4 IP so much that someone would have to sedate me before I'd put another one on my truck! :hihi:

Rags don't compress that well at all.....;)

Oh no, I was totally agreeing. I have a "wall of shame" -so to speak, -it is the top of my tool box. I have broken rods, pistons with rings stacked on top of themselves in the same groove, a broken wrist pin, a cam that came out of an engine in 5 pieces, -but no broken cranks though

Sounds exactally like the top of my tool box. Many of toasted snowmobile pistons as well.

And X2 on the wealth of information surrounding this build. I do alot of reading and not much posting as there is alot more info to soak up than I have to give out. Sooo a big thanks from all of us for not being afraid to share your "secrets" as to what works, and what dosent.

-Nick

Sounds exactally like the top of my tool box. Many of toasted snowmobile pistons as well.

And X2 on the wealth of information surrounding this build. I do alot of reading and not much posting as there is alot more info to soak up than I have to give out. Sooo a big thanks from all of us for not being afraid to share your "secrets" as to what works, and what dosent.

-Nick

Yep, -every broken piece tells a story for sure...

Back