• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

blown fuse link

thomasholder

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to be, but I am new to this. I have a 1994 GMC 3500 with a 6.5 that fried a fuse link that I'M guessing goes to the starter. My question is can I bypass the link and use a starter button?

So the one that burnt was the one going from the passenger side battery up to the electrical junction box on the passenger side firewall? If so there should be other stuff not working as well

So the one that burnt was the one going from the passenger side battery up to the electrical junction box on the passenger side firewall? If so there should be other stuff not working as well
Not sure if this is the right place to be, but I am new to this. I have a 1994 GMC 3500 with a 6.5 that fried a fuse link that I'M guessing goes to the starter. My question is can I bypass the link and use a starter button?
I 'm not sure,but when I turned the switch on I didn't hear anything clicking and I didn't notice any smoke until I held the switch in the start position for a few seconds. The wire goes from the busbar on the firewall passenger side into a harness with a lot of wires. That's why I'm thinking about bypassing the ignition switch and using a button. But I'm not sure how to hook it up.

Think of a fuseable link like a high amperage capable fuse. It is possible to just have a bad connection at the end(s). Other than that, if it burns out- understand it did just that- it got SO much draw through it that it failed.
Bypass it with regular wire and thats a common way to burn the truck to the ground.

Find the issue and fix it. Otherwise you are asking for trouble.

Fusible links are just that, links of wire that act as a fuse. If it smoked, that means there's a serious short that MUST be addressed. Bypass it and you'll end up like Will said, a CAR-B-QUE!

Back