• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

blower running non-stop then not at all

johnk

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Chevy Avalanche. Recently, the blower (heat and AC) would stay on even after the truck was turned off and key was removed. After running the battery dead a few times, we searched this forum and found suggestions to replace the blower motor resistor. We replaced it and now, the blower does not come on at all. Before replacing, we followed certain instructions on youtube that suggested we cut the purple and black wires because they were too difficult to disconnect. A few days later, the new resistor arrived and we were able to unplug the old black and purple wire from under the dash and install the new resistor complete, without splicing. But now, we have no blower, where previously we had non stop blower. The display works, the controls function, but no blower. We checked the fuse. it seemed fine but we replaced it anyway. No luck. I would say bad blower motor but it worked before the new resistor. My wife suggested parking it under a dead tree since last week we had to replace the water pump and a couple months ago, we replaced the transmission. Suggestions? (don't say park it under a dead tree)

Which ac system do you have? The dual manual control system has a recall on it. And ate you sure you have the correct fan controller. I believe there is 3 styles for 05 depending wether it had single manual, dual manual, or auto with digital display. And whenever you replace a failed fan controller, you should also do the plug for it.

I saw all the different styles so I took it out to make sure I was ordering the correct one. I put in the exact same style I took out. I have the dual climate control with the digital display.

Those normally don't fail. When they do, its normally a burnt wire or bad connection to them causing it. I'll try and look up the diag for that style later. I believe that style used 2 plugs, 1 with 2 wires to the blower motor, and the other with 3 wires(power, ground, & a trigger wire from the hvac). It was an older model Buick that fought me with similiar problems ended up being a bad ground to the fan controller. The mosfet controllers like that one MUST have a SOLID ground connection. I ended up having to backprobe it to find it because everything checked good when individually tested.

Back