• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Blizzard Snow PLows any good ?

Marty (blizzardplowman) sells the Blizzard plows I do believe, so I'm sure he could shed some light on the pros and cons of each manufacture.

Not much plow experience here in TN for me, unless you count my tractor bucket for a few inches a year.. :D

I see you've got little response on the plow.

I have no experience with Blizzard Plows, but I can give you something to think about.

If the unit is complete for your truck including the truck mount, wiring, blade, lights and controller for $1400 you can't go wrong if you have any need for snow removal. Even if it's ugly with rust. It doesn't take much to wire brush the entire thing and give it a good coat of paint to clean it up.

I've had a couple of Western plows and one Hiniker. The Western plows were the older style with the cable controls. They were excellent. Very little trouble with them. One I had for about 18 years. Disadvantage of that style is the truck mount has the lights attached all the time. That is additional weight. However that front bracket saved my '76 Chev 4x4 when I went off the road and met an 8" dia. tree square in the front!! I replaced the truck mount and used it another 5 years. No damage was done to the hood or the grill. We had gotten several inches of rain and I pushed to tree to a 60 deg angle and stopped.

Anyways the Hiniker is elec. over hydraulic. It is newer, has better lights, has hydraulic lift so no chain to let blade bounce when crossing RR tracks or other rough areas, mounts to the truck in a couple of minutes, easy to dismount....just simpler and no weight when not in use.

Once again, if you can buy a complete plow unit for $1400 you can't really go wrong. If you decide you don't like it add a couple hundred to it and sell it next fall.

I don't have the 9 foot Blizzard, but I love my 1999 Blizzard 810. I have had it two years, and it has given me very few problems for an old plow. The biggest issue I've heard is if you ended up with the round plug(like mine) for the controls, the pins snap off in them very easily and you have a plow that mostly works depending on which terminal snaps. It's a wiring feat to convert them over to the new style, but nothing a good sleuth can't figure out on their own. I found an old guy that had several of the plow harnesses in his shop so I didn't have to go through the feat to convert. I would put my plow up against any plow except a bank drive-thru.

$1400 for a plow setup sounds like a great price.

If it is indeed a 9' plow that would make it made in 2009 or newer, prior to then Blizzard was only made to a max of 8'6 for the straight blades. The 810 is 8-10' plow with expanding wings, it was first made in 1999 and has undergone several change since then. If you can give me a serial number and can tell you more about the plow you are looking at.
Marty

Back