• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

blinkers act like flashers

josh mclemore

Reaction score
I have a 95 k1500 6.5L TD, when I put my blinkers on they act like flashers as well my brake lights quit working but when the flashers are on they work. I have disconnected all my trailer wiring and been going over the truck looking for a bad ground and nothing yet. Even went as far as changed out the complete blinker control switch on the steering column. If anyone has any insight on what is going on I would appreciate the help. I am new to the site. this question might have already been answered in another topic. thanks guys

Welcome Josh.
First thing that comes to mind is be sure that ALL of the blinker lights is working, even the ones on the front sides of the front fenders.
Any burned out bulb will have the function that You have described.

If all the lights are working as it is supposed to, then the alternator is weak.

Another sign of weak alternator is erratic rpm needle.

Point of order. Double check bulb requirements against the manual. Reasoning is the brake bulbs are commonly spec'd for 3057 but people install 3157's. Sure, the 3157's fit and seeming work just fine, but they are too hot for the socket and lead to socket and / or circuit board failures. And, Yes, the tail light actually has a circuit board inside the lens.

Point of order. Double check bulb requirements against the manual. Reasoning is the brake bulbs are commonly spec'd for 3057 but people install 3157's. Sure, the 3157's fit and seeming work just fine, but they are too hot for the socket and lead to socket and / or circuit board failures. And, Yes, the tail light actually has a circuit board inside the lens.
I never knew that, and in the fleets we always used 3157, and always cooked the circuit board... makes perfect sense. Thank you.

The bad part was that is what the dealership stocked also- maybe some planned parts sells by some folks? That’s why we used them. 3 competing dealerships all used them. Come to think about it- 2 we bought from and 1 I worked at. Gubmint konspiricy!! Worse: Gm-spiricy!!!

Back